Skip to main content

Featured

Caught Between Reality and Reverie: “Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite

“Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite “Woman in the Window” emerges like a delicate mist, its tendrils weaving through the listener’s senses. In the quietude of indie-folk, Elizabeth Cuite’s artistry blooms, inspired by the shadows of unfulfilled promises and the ache of longing. Each note is a dab of color on a canvas of emotions, and the resulting work is both haunting and exquisite.  The guitar strings resonate like whispered secrets, and Cuite’s voice, clear yet imbued with vulnerability, paints vivid scenes. The musical arrangement moves with delicate precision, honoring the essence of the story. The gentle plucking of the acoustic guitar echoes softly, akin to the sound of steps traversing an old wooden floor. Cuite’s poetic prowess writes tales of missed opportunities, of paths not taken, and of love that lingers like a half-remembered melody. Her words are fragile, yet they carry entire musical universes within.  Elizabeth Cuite blends indie-pop nuances with folk, creatin

“Make Your Mind Up”: Phil Young’s ode to life and its wonders

Phil Young

...is a singer-songwriter who blends Soul, Brit-pop and Folk into his genre of “Modern Vintage”. Inspired by James Bay and The Beatles, his songs are modern and nostalgic at the same time. He has performed over 500 concerts in Europe and opened for Rhys Lewis. 
Phil’s songs are authentic and emotional. He sings from the soul and writes lyrics that reflect his life experiences. His piano, guitar and soulful voice captivate the listener and take them on a journey. He is now working on his debut album and planning to tour more countries.

facebook     tiktok     instagram     philyoung.de

What's the story behind the artist, Phil Young, and how did you discover your passion for music?

I started writing songs quite early at the age of 10. I got my first Piano and fell in love with it. At this time I also liked the English language. So I startet to write songs in a really bad English, because at this time I did not have any English lessons at school. At the age of 14 I bought my first guitar and started a punk rock band which has been a really cool time, hanging out with friends, writing songs and playing concerts. Later at the age of 24 I focused more on writing acoustic songs with deeper lyrics and found my real passion. I quit the the band and startet my career as a singer songwriter in cologne.


What inspired you to create your latest release, “Make your mind up”?

My new single „Make your mind up“ is a kind of tribute to life. I know it sounds corny but I think it’s so important to enjoy every day in your life. Go out, travel the world, get to know other people, other cultures….instead of isolating yourself from society by staying at home for the rest of your life, even if it's comfortable.


Who are some of the songwriters that inspire you to craft your musical stories?

One of my favourite artists is Elton John. I love the way he work together with his songwriter Bernie Taupin. And I love Bernie’s lyrics. Beside him I love songs by Rhys Lewis, JP Copper, Declan J Donovan.


What can you tell us about your upcoming EP?

There are not many facts I wanna drop about my upcoming EP yet, but I can tell you it will be a kind of new sound which is really modern although I used a lot of analog instruments and sounds. I call it modern vintage!


Do you still remember the first song you ever wrote and what inspired it?

Yeah I even remember the first lines of the lyrics. Like I mentioned, at this time I didn’t have any English lesson, so I thought I can easily translate my songetext word by word from German to English. This is what came out: „If the evening longer lasts, then is my heart by you.“ (Laughing) Doesn’t makes sense at all!! That was the first line of the song written by an 10 year old german kid.


Are you planning to perform live on stage anytime soon and where can we catch you?

Yeah I have a few upcoming dates this summer but there are more to come:

28.06.23. Cologne, Sadies Irish Pub
08.07.23. Frechen, Schörkellos
09.07.23. Mainz, Hyatt Hotel
10.08.23. Paderborn, Welcome Hotel




What are some of the projects or goals that you are working on for the future?

First of all I want to finish the EP project. But besides that I’m looking forward to go on festival tour next year with my band.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist