Skip to main content

Featured

Caught Between Reality and Reverie: “Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite

“Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite “Woman in the Window” emerges like a delicate mist, its tendrils weaving through the listener’s senses. In the quietude of indie-folk, Elizabeth Cuite’s artistry blooms, inspired by the shadows of unfulfilled promises and the ache of longing. Each note is a dab of color on a canvas of emotions, and the resulting work is both haunting and exquisite.  The guitar strings resonate like whispered secrets, and Cuite’s voice, clear yet imbued with vulnerability, paints vivid scenes. The musical arrangement moves with delicate precision, honoring the essence of the story. The gentle plucking of the acoustic guitar echoes softly, akin to the sound of steps traversing an old wooden floor. Cuite’s poetic prowess writes tales of missed opportunities, of paths not taken, and of love that lingers like a half-remembered melody. Her words are fragile, yet they carry entire musical universes within.  Elizabeth Cuite blends indie-pop nuances with folk, creatin

Synthpop Meets Darkwave in Like What’s electrifying New York sound!

Like What, New York

Like What

... is a DIY synthpop/darkwave project from New York. The artist delivers pure and authentic synth pop with darkwave vibes. Like What channels the spirit of Kraftwerk and other pioneers of electro, with a touch of european flair. The songs are stunning. captivating, haunting, and harmonious, with simple yet elegant synthesizer sounds.


How did you discover your passion for music and what is the story behind your artistic identity as Like What?

Like What is really a quarantine project. I had been working on some songs for a while but when the pandemic hit and my life turned upside down during the lockdowns, I just had a lot of free time all of a sudden. Music was really one of the things that kept me busy and sane. I took some earlier demos and decided to finish the production. And the rest you already know: after the first few singles I have released a short album 'Avant-Garde' and an Unplugged EP. And 'Unpunctuated' has just been released on May 31st.


What are some of the main influences that shape your music and your stories?

I am listening to different kinds of music, but my main influences are Depeche Mode, The Cure, Joy Divison, New Order, Fad Gadget... But there are great bands in today's post-punk scene as well: The Foreign Resort, Twin Tribes, She Past Away... so much great music out there.
As for the lyrics, my favorite lyricists write mostly about their personal emotions: Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, Robert Smith of The Cure, Ian Curtis of Joy Division... I write a bit differently, my lyrics are based on movies - mostly horror and film noir. These are movies with stark imagery, triggering a lot of emotions. I am trying to paint these images with very few words and let the music do the rest.


"Unpunctuated" sounds amazing and is also part of your new EP, what can listeners expect from?

Last year my dream came true, I had the opportunity to compose songs for some movies. 'Unpunctuated' is a collection of my works, five original songs and two movie themes created for cinema. It really reflects my love for both movies and music.

“Creating on an iPad and a guitar” seems to be an extraordinary creative process. Could you please tell us more about it?

I used the tablet as a scratchbook for music for a very long time. Mostly just for instant recording of ideas. I always planned to switch to something more 'serious', learn more professional software, DAW, set up a better home studio... but I kept circling back to the iPad. I can take it anywhere, a guitar and other instruments are not that portable. So I'm just kind of stuck with it.

While it sounds like a huge limitation, it can be used anytime anywhere. 'Dark is the Night' was really born on a flight from Budapest to New York. No guitar, no drums? There are on-screen instruments to play. The track can be finalized with a real guitar later, but the creative process is not stopped just because there's nothing available. That's a great advantage.

Guitar is my first instrument, I played at music schools and in some cover bands... it will always be my favorite. Synth came into the picture very recently. And when I found myself working on songs by myself, I fell in love with its versatility. I am far from being a keyboard player, I work a lot with midi editing. The concept was to blend synths and guitar in the final sound.


If you had the chance to collaborate with an artist of your choice, who would it be?

This is a tough one! She Wants Revenge maybe? Not sure they're active nowadays, but they are back to touring, I have seen them last November in New York. I really love them, they lured me to the dark side. Or Twin Tribes! They are really amazing. Their music, their lyrics, the whole concept... works perfectly.


How do you manage the time-consuming aspect of being an indie artist?

As most of us, I have a dayjob. It's not easy to find time for creativity after working hours but as music really is a passion, I manage that part. I write and record whenever I have some free time. 
But in the independent music world it's only part of the job. Promotion, marketing, social media, interactions with other musicians, fans... these take time as well. And I have to admit, I haven't done a good job at this part. At least until now. I will try to change that for the future.


What are some of the upcoming projects or plans that you have in the works or that you are excited about?

The music video for 'Unpunctuated' was released at same time with the music, based on AI-generated images. I really like that video. And next month I am planning to release another music video for 'Time To Let Go', which is my personal favorite from the EP.
And I'm not really taking a break from creativity, new songs are in the works already. As 'Unpunctuated' was more synth-heavy than the previous releases, maybe I will focus more on guitars this time... We'll see. But you'll hear from me soon enough!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist