Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

A Gothic Spiral of Despair: "T’as dû vouloir la mort" by VERTÈBRE

VERTÈBRE

VERTÈBRE

...is the electro rock/cold wave project of Ron Kring, a singer-songwriter from Rennes, France. She started in 2020 with an eponymous album and two singles, produced by Zach Spectre. During the COVID lockdown, she also made several DIY music videos and uploaded them on YouTube. 
In 2021, she began working on her second album, “Basic instincts”, which features the mixing of Marie-Claude Martine from Shewolf and the mastering of Ivan Muñoz from Vigilante. She releases her songs one by one on streaming platforms, along with new homemade videos. 
After parting ways with Zach Spectre, she recruited Julien Marien as her bassist and is currently rehearsing with a guitarist for live performances. Her music is driven by synthetic sounds that evoke different emotions.

facebook     bandcamp     spotify     instagram     youtube

How did the project "Vertebre" start and who is involved?

Ron : I started thinking about it when my previous musical project ended following my decision to breakup with my partner. I could not resolve to stop the music on the pretext that there was no longer a composer by my side. Quite frankly, I didn't want to go through "casting" to be a singer. The most logical thing was to start composing by using the MAO tools used in the previous project. It was important for me to be independent. I didn't want to deprive myself of this mode of expression. It brings me a lot of satisfaction and contributes to my balance! In my opinion, what I am currently doing is a mutation of the previous project. Today after a lot of time spent looking for the right acolytes, I’m accompanied by Julien. We are working on the integration of a guitarist. Now all 3 of us have to adapt the songs for the live.
Julien: Hi I'm Julien (Marien), I play bass and synths. I was slightly involved in the beginning of the band, circa 2016, before I moved away. Ron and I stayed in touch, then last year I heard she was looking for a bassist again.
Ron: I wish he hadn't had to leave the project. I was glad he came forward again. From the beginning, for the concerts I wanted bass and guitar in addition to synthetic sounds. VERTEBRE started very slow and COVID didn't help. It debuted on stage as a duo due to the difficulty in finding musicians.


"T’as dû vouloir la mort" sounds brilliant, I really like the mood and atmosphere of the song, what's the story behind?

Ron: Thank you so much. This dark wave track is like a spiral. it sounds very gothic, with its synths pad and martial drum. You can hear slightly dissonant choirs and an almost spoken lead voice. I really imagined a woman sitting on the ground, back to the wall and facing a door that had just been violently slammed. She remains in a trance amid the debris of her life. And she realizes that at the stage where she is, when her partner comes back, it will end in tragedy. If the text is in my language, French, it's because I wanted to be as direct as possible. 
Initially the title was « J’ai dû vouloir la mort » ( I must have wanted death) and there was only the beginning of the verse and the chorus phrase. At that time I felt very bad in my relationship because it was as if I had to silence my pain so as not to disturb. it was for me very violent. You know, as I had to swallow my need for support and empathy. I wasn't just sad, I was angry against myself and against my boyfriend. 
Then I started worrying about friend's new romantic relationship. My sadness and my anxieties have mixed together. It gave this raw song about domestic violence. Fortunately, I don't experience this kind of drama. Anyway the violence can take the form of physical beatings, but emotional abuse also has devastating effects. So many variations in how to be denied by his/her partner. Being cut off from friends and activities we enjoy is part of it. To be despised and blamed until we come to tolerate what destroys us. Again, having to manage disproportionate reactions that gnaws at our nerves... there are so many toxic relationships that it would be good to break up.

The music video of the track made by the artist Changeline is very positive compared to what i feel about the song and what I imagined! We discussed his screenplay and the most important thing for me was to keep my idea of black substance, an obvious symbol of toxicity. She went beyond the text to offer a cathartic ending. She showed the importance of mutual support and female solidarity, through the figures of the witches. Healing is painful but no profound change is easy. With me, it is the clothes and the toothbrush in addition to the food that would have been soaked. And we would have stopped at rage.


It's the new single from your 2nd Album, what can we expect from "Basic Instincts »?

Ron: It’s not a concept album but a set of songs created under the impulse of strong emotions that had to be externalized. My vocal lines come always before the words, carrying sadness, desire, anger, need for love and self-acceptance. I think that singing is a kind of "civilized" shout. I try to communicate a message and it's not easy when I don't know exactly why I've uttered this cry (laughs). This album will be more danceable than the 1st digital album. I mean, the rhythms are faster but the themes are not necessarily happier. Electro is very present in each title. We have very dark wave atmospheres and others are a bit pop rock. It brings a certain light like « You, my friends ». This song expresses the importance of friendship to face the anguish of death. Another track, « Reclaim », revolts against sexism and gender roles. Last example, « Policemen » points to police violence on a catchy rhythm.


Cold Wave meets Post Punk with some dark spins, I would call it the perfect sound for an amazing gig, is there a chance to see you somewhen live on stage?

Julien : We’re currently working on it. We still got some elements to put together before playing as much gigs as we can. Next date is on july, at the Uzine in Rennes.

Ron: I can't wait to get back on stage with this new formation. Ok, there's stress too. It will take several dates to be really comfortable but we are motivated!


You are based in Rennes, France, how would you describe the Indie Scene there, especially for your genre?

Julien: Since the beginning of French Rock, Rennes has always been a central place, especially for the Post-Punk scene. I'm thinking of founding bands like Marquis de Sade, Ubik, or even more mainstream artists like Etienne Daho and Niagara. The city is still relevant today in the Cold Wave department with bands like DEAD, Carriegoss, Denner ...


What advice would you give your younger self concerning music?

Julien: I'd say to my younger self : « You'd rather start playing the bass guitar - drums are way too impractical in an apartment. »

Ron: I started to sing and compose late. I listened to a lot of music and I didn’t see myself at all in the place of my favorite singers. I wrote and drew, locked in my teenage depression. When I first sang and the feedback was positive, it felt so good! So I would say to my young self « Please, instead of withdrawing into yourself, find a band and sing your lyrics. You'll see, you'll be happier ». I think It would have changed my life.


and, what's next for you?

Julien: In the foreseeable future, we are working on welcoming a new band member, rehearsing and scheduling shows.

Ron: Yes, gigs! And I have to mix and master the new titles. The next release should be « You, my friends ». I‘ll try to do a new diy clip that does not require any particular logistics, maybe this summer. It could be cool too to work on another diy video with Julien - who is a movie buff - and our guitarist…but we haven't talked about it yet!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist