Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 04.May.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  The Elephants - Charles James and the Rise   2  In den Tiefen der Nacht - Luke Tangerine, ROBSON DARKER   3  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Little Lovely - Double Triangle Single Edit - Double Triangle, King Crisis   6  Stranger - Close to Monday   7  Firenight - Moon and Aries   8  Searing Light - The Holy Mountain   9  Missing - pMad 10  ember - Sam Way 11  Come to the Night - The Cöln 12  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 13  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy 14  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara 15  Love - Lucy Dreams 16  Awakening - Janeuary 17  Higher - Jamie Frye NEW 18  Card Machine - Cameron Ferguson 19  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill 20  Infinite Harmony - ZOAX   21  The Crawling Eye - The Silence Industry NEW 22  Dances of the Paper Elephants - Celestial Lakes NEW 23  Devenu Deux - Jagas 24  Ragnar's Revenge - Ullrson 25  Paraïba - Ritual Fade 26  Flow of Water - Orange A Boom, Spacey Panda 27  Leeches -

A Song of Love, Life and Hope: “Initial Pulse” by Jay Wood

Jay Wood (photo provided by the artist)

Jay Wood

Inspired by artists like Phoebe Bridgers and Maggie Rogers, Jay weaves music with gentle melodies and deep narratives. Her songs immerse her fans in a world of emotions and stories. Her EP ‘Respire’, which will be out on 1st September, is a reflection of her resilience and determination. 
She has faced many hardships - from disability to being told she would never work again - but she has shown that the human spirit can rise above any obstacles. Her music is a powerful reminder that we all have the strength to overcome adversity and chase our dreams. ‘Initial Pulse’ and ‘Respire’ are Jay Wood’s invitations to embark on a journey of self-discovery, love, and happiness. Her music reveals that we can shape our own destinies and find fulfillment no matter what life brings us.


How did your passion for music begin and what are the main influences behind your musical style and identity?

I’ve always had an affinity for music from the time I was very small. I used to sing all the time as a child but I think my real passion for playing and writing my own music began when I was about 16 years of age. My father noticed my keen interest and swapped a surfboard for a beautiful Cole Clark Fat Lady guitar (that had a crack in the neck after touring Europe on the back of a musician haha) which he gifted me and I began to write poetry which I later turned into songs. This was the beginning of being able to express myself creatively. 
The written word is SO powerful and I have always loved harnessing this to express myself in a way that you can really feel. Hence, using music! The main influence behind my musical style and identity would have to be life itself. Everything about my music is inspired and influenced by love, life and the human experience. However, I have been told many a time that I sound similar to Missy Higgins or Phoebie Bridgers.


What was the inspiration behind your latest release, “Initial Pulse” and what’s the story behind it?

Jay Wood (photo provided by the artist)
After suffering crippling injuries from being hit by a drunk driver, I lost the ability to play and write music altogether. I have what is medically known as a Catastrophic Traumatic Brain Injury, a “hidden” disability which significantly impacts my life. Initial Pulse was the first song I managed to write after painstakingly learning not only to walk and talk again (amongst many other faculties), but to play music once again. Something which has always been a very big part of who I am.
Initial Pulse began as an expression of love for someone as well as the love I felt for life in itself. Considering Love is synonymous with life, I used the theme of new love to articulate what was happening in my life at the time. I felt the song fitting to be called “Initial Pulse” as it depicts the first beats of your heart when you are falling in love - it is about the hope and anticipation for a fresh start and a new beginning, whilst also layered with a deep sense of gratitude for all that is love and life. Lyrically talking of a new love being the metaphor for the new life I had regained.


The song is also part of your upcoming EP “Respire”, what can our readers look forward to?

Respire is the culmination of years of the hard work and dedication I’ve put in to regaining my faculties post-accident. This EP is a small snippet of what my music can offer. It shows a glimpse of my musical range; from light hearted, summery and jovial bops, to songs with more layered depths of sound, all of which lyrically carry deep meaning and offer listeners the opportunity to inspire self-reflections on love, life and the human experience.


Nowadays songs tend to have a playtime of 2 minutes, do you think that’s enough to “tell the story”?

I definitely don’t think 2minutes is enough time to honour the story an artist is attempting to convey. In order to really understand or be impacted by a song, I think listeners need to be given the time to really listen, connect and process what they are hearing. Given the usual song structures that are used in today’s day and age, I don’t think 2 minutes is anywhere near enough time to articulate adequately, no matter the subject being written about.


What are some of the challenges that you face as a musician in the current music industry?

Jay Wood (photo provided by the artist)
I think the main thing I struggle with in the current music industry climate, is the need for social media/technology in order to get anywhere with your art. I would much rather be out playing than sitting behind a computer or phone! Second to that and probably more importantly, I struggle with keeping on top of the many facets of being a musician beyond playing and singing. Due to my disability, my executive functions are very much impacted. 
Planning, organisation, multitasking and memory are just some of the faculties I really struggle with. This makes it extremely difficult to achieve the things I want to with my music, and has seen bigger than usual delays with the release of my music.


How do you use social media to connect with your fans and grow your audience?

I really struggle with this part of being a musician! I use social media to talk with my fans about when/where I’m playing gigs, as well when my music is going to be released. Basically, I use it as a means to keep my fans up to date with how my career is progressing and where they can listen to my songs and follow my progression in the industry.


What are your goals for the future?

My goals for the future beyond keeping my health in check, are to continue playing and writing music. My hopes are that it will become easier and easier in time. I am very much aiming to make a name for myself in the Australian music scene, with the hopes of positively impacting people. 
I want to use my story to encourage those to harness their individual power to overcome whatever dire circumstances or difficulties they find themselves in. No matter what, you can get through anything and you can choose your life! If I can do it, you can too!




Artists of the Week! - The Playlist