Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

How Grant Harvey Dudson revived the 90s Pop Sound in his new Feel-Good anthem “Turn you up”!

Grant Harvey Dudson (photo provided by the artist)

Grant Harvey Dudson

... is a musical chameleon who mixes acoustic RnB and pop hooks. From a small town in Northern England, he has traveled the world with his music. He has lived in LA and Italy, and now calls London home. His songs are full of joy and inspiration, both in melody and lyrics. 
He wants to touch your heart and make you smile. Turn You Up, co-written by Jonatan Backelie, is his third solo release. It’s a 90s pop homage with a modern twist and a feel-good vibe. The song will get you hooked with its catchy chorus and funky groove that will make you move.


What is the story behind the artist named Grant Harvey Dudson and how did music become his passion?

I have been writing music since I was ten years old. Now my work at that age wasn't ever going to make it onto radio but I showed a flare for topline melody and demonstrated a lateral thinking perspective on life. As I entered into teenage years I suffered from OCD, although at the time wasn't diagnosed, but found that writing poetry and songs provided a form of therapy for me. 
At 22 I set off to London, couch-surfed for three months trying to make my way into the music industry. I got signed to a band and was then kicked out a week later for a difference in opinion with the lead producer, then entered into another band that was financially backed which took me to Italy and LA with the ambition of breaking into the mainstream music industry. 
Two years later with an album of 14 songs to my name I pulled off a publicity stunt and claimed I was signed to Eminem's and 50 Cent's new record label where the story was published on a double-page spread in the Sun newspaper. This shot me and my band into the limelight overnight which ended up with me meeting Eminem's lawyer but also received an offer from the MOBOs of a management contract where myself and my band would start touring as a support act with well known pop artists
It all came tumbling down in the end with the band breaking up and me having to regroup and think about my next steps. Music has and always be a major part of my life and no matter where I am music composition and songwriting is something I'll always dive into.


“Turn you up”, your new single, is an amazing Indie Pop tune with a touch of the 90s. Who or what inspired you to create it?

Grant Harvey Dudson (photo provided by the artist)
I love 90's pop and uplifting feel-good music so wanted to create a groovy track that people can vibe to. 

It seems that you only release one single every year. Is this a matter of time or something else? 

It's a matter of time as I'm also a Creative Director who designs experiences so it's about finding the right balance. Having said that I aim to drop more songs this year and hopefully that number will increase next year too.


How do you go about creating your music? What kind of tools or techniques do you use?

I either strum on the guitar and find a melody I want to write to. Or I'll work with one of a handful of producers I respect who can present a beat for me to write to. Turn You Up was co-written with a Swedish artist and producer called Jonatan Backelie. 
For me the melody of a song is everything. It's about melody first and lyrics second which I know isn't the case with everyone. I'm one of those who really feels the music even if I don't understand any of the lyrics. That's not to say I don't want tight profound lyrics and narrative but the melody needs to lead it in my world.


When do you think music history last changed significantly? What are your thoughts on that?

I think it's changed a lot in the last few years. I worked with a group of songwriters who didn't believe in pre-hooks anymore or the middle eight which I'm fundamentally against. Songwriting needs to be a journey for the listener that keeps on giving throughout the song. If a prehook is great it adds value. If the middle eight helps crescendo the flow of the song then make sure you embrace it. 
I find artists can get too lazy and it's all about volume of output. For me it's about staying true to delivering a song that first and foremost speaks to me as the artist. We all want our stuff to be commercial but I don't believe in shortcuts when it comes to creating a song we're proud of.


Apart from music, what are some other topics that interest or inspire you?

I'm also an installation artist and Creative Director having created many immersive art installations and experiences for major global brands like Ford, Johnnie Walker, Tudor and Ferrari which is what funds my music currently. I'm a second dan black belt in Wado-ryu karate so also a big fan of martial arts.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist