Skip to main content

Featured

A Séance of Sound: Verlatour’s Album ‘Immersion’ Conjures Otherworldly Beats!

‘Immersion (Album)’ by  Verlatour He’s a mad scientist who is awakening beats to life , and this time, he’s summoning the electronic gods to dance with mere mortals. Like a possessed maestro in a dimly lit warehouse, he lets the synthesizer wail, its oscillators and filters crafting a symphony of electronic sound that reverberates off the concrete walls, creating an atmosphere of magic.  The air crackles with anticipation, and Verlatour’s essence streams from the threads of pleasure-seeking and electronic vibes. Envision a progeny born of Daft Punk and Blade Runner’s union, nurtured by Kraftwerk’s hand amidst a vessel aglow with neon, dancing through the cosmos to the rhythm of the stars. Such is the quintessence of his musical creation.  His vocals? Sublime. They wrap around your brain like a velvet boa constrictor, squeezing out every ounce of inhibition. You’ll tap your feet, wiggle your head, and you’ll lose yourself in the void between dimensions. Because Verlatour opens these p

"Silhouette" by Christine Tarquinio: An EP that celebrates the power of connection and optimism!

Christine Tarquinio, photo courtesy of the artist

Christine Tarquinio

Hailing from the vibrant city of Melbourne, Australia, Christine Tarquinio has carved a niche for herself as a distinguished singer-songwriter and recording artist. Her musical odyssey commenced with her inaugural single, ‘Didn’t Even Try’, which heralded the onset of her perpetual exploration of sound and expression. Christine is devoted to crafting sublime music and collaborates with virtuosos, producers, and sound engineers who resonate with her vision. She derives immense gratification from witnessing her song concepts flourish into their full glory with the aid of her gifted creative team.

‘Silhouette’ transports listeners to an intimate journey through Christine Tarquinio’s personal experiences during a time that has shaken humanity to its core. The EP artfully intertwines stories of highs and lows, forging a bond of solidarity and connection in both blissful and sorrowful moments. These songs beckon listeners to ponder their own unique encounters with the extraordinary events that unraveled recently, offering a sanctuary for introspection and exploration. The creative process behind ‘Silhouette’ was astounding. 
Some tracks were penned during the climax of the pandemic, while others were crafted in retrospect, providing divergent perspectives. In the midst of turmoil, the tracks ‘Running’ and ‘You And Me’ blossomed, each conveying a different emotional reaction. ‘Running’ yearned for escape, while ‘You And Me’ clung to hope for a brighter future. This project enabled Christine Tarquinio to express a spectrum of emotions through a singular life event, resulting in a truly extraordinary musical endeavour.


Christine Tarquinio is back with another EP. Your first release from it, “You and Me”, sounds very promising. What can we expect from “Silhouette”?

Christine Tarquinio, photo courtesy of the artist
Thank-you so much. It is a very exciting time. Silhouette is a collection of songs that weaves through the story the last few years, when we encountered one of the biggest things to happen to humankind.
You can expect contrasting tracks with a common thread of hope while fighting the battle to overcome the desire to withdraw and seek introspection.
This EP is a snapshot in time, and it portrays a sense of solidarity through the good times and the tough times. Ever the optimist I wanted to show through my music the positive effect those closest to you can have in your life, to lift you up and keep you grounded in times of crisis.


If you look back on the production and songwriting process, what song would you call a “troublemaker” on your new EP and why?

If I had to pick a troublemaker track it would be Sweetheart. This is the one that required the most effort to record in the studio and we had to make so many changes to it. The first draft of the song was completed and left untouched for many months. I trust the feedback of my team and when we revisited it to discuss mixing/mastering we realised something wasn’t quite right. 
I am not one to rush any of my musical projects, but this did take a bit more time. Thankfully my music producer was so gracious and patient. He was more than willing to start again on this song. Now looking back, I am proud of how this track has turned out.


Did you select from a pool of tracks, or did you have a concrete number that you worked on from the beginning?

I knew early on that I wanted a 5 track EP. I had a plan for the first 4 songs. They came together quite easily. I found the final song ‘Don’t look back’ took longer to reveal itself. It needed to make sense with all the other tracks. I think in the end I got the balance right.


Back to the past: From your very first release, “Didn’t Even Try”, to now, how would you describe your musical evolution?

Christine Tarquinio, photo courtesy of the artist
Wow, looking back I am still so proud of my first release back in 2014. I can see how my voice has matured over the last 10 years. I would describe my musical evolution to be dynamic and always trying to find a new sound and a new story. My team works with me to create amazing soundscapes to help tell those stories. I am excited for what will be the next chapter.


Is there any possibility to see you live on stage somewhere?

I did perform very recently in Melbourne at an intimate gig in June with some amazing singers who I consider to also be my wonderful friends. I really hope to have some news of upcoming performances very soon.


How do you balance the time-consuming aspect of being an indie artist with other aspects of your life?

This is a great question. I am a married mother with 2 children, so I am busy. I find I must strike a balance and if it means I have to wait a little longer to work on my music that is what I do. It can be done. I schedule in time for my music and that is time just for me. Music is my outlet, so I turn to it all the time, to create, to perform or to teach others or just to relax. I am a patient person so I will always make room for music in my life.


And finally, what comes next?

Well, there is always something coming up. I have started working on my music but again I don’t set any timelines. It will happen when the time is right. One thing is for sure, you will see more music from me over the coming years.


Artists of the Week! - The Playlist