Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

A musical electroshock about the climate crisis: “No Safe Place” by The Memory Of Snow

The Memory Of Snow, photo provided by the artist

The Memory Of Snow

Drawing inspiration from the likes of Depeche Mode, The The, Eyelies in Gaza, Tears for Fears, Slowdive or The Sound, Snow’s debut album evokes the nostalgia of the 80’s while embracing the alternative aesthetics of the 90’s, creating a sound that is both modern and mindful of its rich influences. 
Albin, the mastermind behind Snow, is not only an academic expert in discourse analysis, but also a versatile artist who has previously released music under his own name or with the band Overcast. He shows that science and art can harmonize in his musical expression.


Who is the person behind the artist/musician The Memory Of Snow?

The person behind The Memory Of Snow is me, Albin Wagener. I live in France, but I was born in Luxembourg with French and Canadian origins. I've been making music since the age of 6, and I have been active in various bands before going solo. In my other life, professionally speaking, I'm a scholar doing research in discourse analysis-but that's a completely different story, of course!


How did your passion for music begin and what are the main influences behind your musical style and identity?

Well I learned the piano when I was 6 years old, so obviously it started quite early; I played in a few bands when I was in high school and also during my college years. My main influences are rooted in the 80's and in the 90's, mostly drawing on new wave, post-punk or alternative pop. Think Depeche Mode, The The, Simple Minds, Eyeless in Gaza, but also Manic Street Preachers, David Bowie or Phillip Boa & The Voodooclub. Pop, rock, electronica and their subgenres, so to speak. 
I describe my music as "soulful new wave", because the sound I love to craft is really inspired by new wave (broadly speaking), but I also love to inject some more bluesy influences. I'd say that my points of departure would revolve around The The's "Dusk" or Depeche Mode's "Songs of Faith and Devotion".


What was the inspiration behind “No Safe Place” and what’s the story?

"No Safe Place" is a song about climate change, and about the fact that if we don't do anything, there might be no place left for us to live peacefully or to survive. And it's starting now. Obviously, the lyrics are not really cheerful, but I also hope that music can make people think of certain topics and help them change somehow. The story is quite grim to be honest, but it's meant to serve as an electroshock. "No Safe Place" is the negative and doomed companion to "Earth Day", another song on the album, which also handles the same topic-but in a more ironic way.


The song is also part of your debut Album “Home Is Where The Heart Aches”, how would you describe it for our readers and what is/are your favorite song(s)?

The Memory Of Snow, photo provided by the artist
"Home Is Where The Heart Aches" is my debut album as The Memory Of Snow, and I made it without any kind of pressure. Some of the songs were 7 or 8 years old, and for the first time in my life, I didn't make music that could be moderately successful, but only made it for myself. To cut a long story short, I wanted to make music I like to hear, that's all. So that's how this album emerged; it was recorded, mixed and mastered between october 2022 and april 2023, and it's got all my influences in it. 
I think that my favourite song on it is the title track, because it's quite intimate and draws on a musical progression that lies somewhere between southern gothic blues, industrial synths and drum kits, and a lukewarm atmosphere. I'd say it's the track that best describes and blends my musical influences, and the lyrics are personal to me. 
Other beloved tracks are the very post-punky "Miami", the dark synthpop of "Simple Song" and the opening track "If You Got Soul", mixing urban beats, bluesy rock and cold keyboards. And there's another song I like, available only on the "Earth Day EP": it's a cover of Peter Gabriel's infamous b-side "Don't Break This Rhythm". I pretty much like what I managed to do with this song.


Do we have the chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

I really made this album and sent it out to the world, without thinking of concerts-although I toured quite much when i was younger with other bands, in France, Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany. So I never thought about concerts with The Memory Of Snow, since it really started as a studio project, but never say never! You never know how the life of an album may evolve, so I'm not against playing some songs live, of course!


How do you use social media to connect with your fans and to grow your audience?

I think that nowadays, social media are essential if you want to make your music known to people, but it's not always easy to know which kind of content people really enjoy, I think. It depends on your audience. So each time an EP or a video comes out, I post something, but I probably should post more stuff about the everyday life of an indie musician. This is a game that has to be played, and at the same time, I want people to get the music. For the moment I'm using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube of course, and even Tik Tok, which I'm still trying to figure out somehow to be honest. And of course, there's the Bandcamp page, which is really necessary and quite enjoyable. I really like the philosophy of Bandcamp and of the community here.


What are your goals for the future?

Since "Home Is Where The Heart Aches" really gathered nice reviews, I really want to make more music. To be completely honest, I will probably start working on a new album this autumn, and I hope to be able to release it some time in 2024. But I don't want to make the same stuff, although my influences will remain the same; I don't want to make a "Home Is Where The Heart Aches, Version 2.0". 
I want the sound of The Memory Of Snow to evolve, play with different sounds, probably work on atmosphere or even more minimalistic ideas. So there will be a second album, that's a sure thing! And maybe some live dates, who knows how things turn out. And of course, finding an indie label would also be a nice thing, but I'm quite laid back about the whole process. What has to happen will happen, in the meantime I only wish to enjoy writing lyrics, making music, sharing it to the world and engaging with my fans. This really is the icing on the cake for me.



Artists of the Week! - The Playlist