Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

A Sprawling and Wandering Testament of Life: "Precious Things (Album)" by Anthony von Seck

Anthony von Seck

"California Wildfire" by Anthony von Seck

"Precious Things" is a Canadian folk album that weaves a tale of a life that is wondrous, wayward, and whimsical. It is a musical journey that transcends time and space, delving into the themes of loss, longing, self-discovery, and dreams. The album was born out of a '68 Martin guitar, a precious gift that shared Anthony’s birth year. The first song he strummed on the guitar was "California Wildfire", inspired by the inferno that engulfed the Golden State, and a festive birthday bash in Topanga Canyon, where he crooned under the stars. These moments ignited his creativity and led him to craft this record, a sprawling and wandering testament of his life. This album is his most sincere and soulful creation to date.


How did your passion for music begin and what are the main influences behind your musical style and identity?

Back in my teens I was listening to the cassettes and albums my brother and sisters had. Mixed tapes or John Prine and Bruce Cockburn. They were out doing canoe tours in the wilderness in the summers and part of me wished I was with them. The finger picking and tones of their voices, vulnerability really spoke to me. I guess the music helped me feel connected to my siblings adventures too I suppose. From there a deep obsession with Dire Straits was my first real departure into my own love for sound. That’s why I picked up a guitar. Mark Knopfler ruined me. 
The path since then has been so wide and expansive, most recently Slowdive and solo artists like Will Oldham and Catpower really opened me up. And of course my dear friendships with Sam Shalabi, Feist, Stars and so many. My musical identity is always shifting, I suppose my identity in general is a little difficult to qualify. I continuei to be a sponge for all sounds that make my heart burst and my mind spin.

What was the inspiration behind your song, “California Wildfire” and what’s the story behind it?

I spent some time in Malibu and Los Angeles. The devastating fires hit a lot of friends I know. I went to a birthday party in Topanga Canyon and there was a nice little round of everyone exchanging their songs. The sound was so perfect outside in the warm evening, something about it said to me ‘you really have to try and recreate this moment sonically’ Then my friend David Alexanian gifted me an old ‘68 Martin and that was the first song that leaped out from that guitar. it’s all about recognizing the gifts in front of me really.

The song is also part of your new album: what songs would you recommend to our readers and what’s your favorite one?

Oh, as my mastering ace Harris Newman said, it’s a meandering beast. I love Julian’s playing. He’s just such a sensitive detailed player. There’s a lot of moments. I think there’s something about One Day that feels the most personal, but they are all special in their own way.

Do we have the chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

I am planning to play. I’ve done a couple of open mics and would love to set up a tour in Europe. Actually Suicide Run is really a love letter to the early years of Shalabi Effect touring. It’s a very special place to perform and have the in between moments. Hopefully I can manage it.

What are some of the challenges that you face as a musician in the current music industry?

Biggest challenge for me is to try and have the music be heard. I don’t really have the support of a label. Just some incredibly brilliant musicians that continue to support the music I throw their way and collaborate. I think the industry has changed so much, but it hasn’t changed the need to create what I believe is solid work. So I’ll just try to keep doing that. Time is the great arbitrator.

What are your goals for the future?

Hoping to tour, hoping Julian and other musicians will be able to join. I’ve already written another album, but for some reason I want to divert and make a loud and lush shoegaze album. We shall see. Day by day.




Anthony von Seck - Vocals, Guitar and Setar
Julian Brown - Bass
Nick Aives - Drums
Jeremy Harris - Rhodes Keyboard
Faisel Zedan - Percussion

Guests
Sam Shalabi - Guitar - It’s Gonna End
Liz Lima - Clarinet - Listen O’ Listen
Michel Bonneau - Percussion - Listen & Big Premiere
Pierre Guy Blanchard - Vibes
Joshua Odjick - Drum & Voice - Lake of Stars

produced by Anthony von Seck
engineered by Jeremy Harris & Dave Draves

recorded at Panoramic House, West Marin County, CA
& Little Bullhorn Studios, Ottawa Canada

Mastered by Harris Newman at Grey Market Mastering

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist