Skip to main content

Featured

Dutch Rhythm Gurus Channel Madchester Magic: “Love Can Take You Places” by Lemon

“Love Can Take You Places” by Lemon Today, we ride the wave of Lemon’s psychedelic groove, straight out of the wildest dreams of the Second Summer of Love. Primal Scream ’s ecstatic reverberations, Happy Mondays ’ swagger, Stone Roses ’ euphoric anthems, and The Charlatans ’ timeless rhythms collide with the avant-garde funk of Talking Heads , the indie jangle of The Kooks , and the electric fire of Kasabian , all converging in Lemon’s new release “Love Can Take You Places.” Welcome to Madchester, no, scratch that, this is undoubtedly Nedchester, reimagined by a quartet of Dutch rhythm gurus who are stirring up the scene with their unique brand of funky alternative rock.   Over 30 years ago, it was a cultural revolution that captured the spirit of a generation. It was a time when music and fashion collided, creating an explosion of self-expression that resonated through the streets of Manchester. This spirit has been embodied once more, blurring the lines between the old Hacienda god

How a Summer School for the Arts Led to the Discovery of Nurse Jane’s Tragic Fate: “Nurse Jane” by Jackie K

Jackie K

Jackie K

... is a versatile and gifted artist who hails from the city of Saskatoon. Her musical journey began at the tender age of four, when she discovered the magic of the piano. Since then, she has never stopped exploring and expressing her creativity through music. She earned a Bachelor of Music in Music Education and has dazzled audiences with her skills as a performer and conductor in various Concert and Jazz Bands across Western Canada and Europe. Inspired by the beauty and diversity of the prairies and its inhabitants, Jackie’s music reflects their essence. As a singer/songwriter, Jackie enchants listeners with her remarkable storytelling abilities.


Who is Jackie K as a person and an artist, and what is her story?

Well, that’s a big question! I'm a musician, songwriter and educator. I started piano lessons when I was 4 and continued on from there, getting a Music Education Degree and I’ve been teaching Concert and Jazz Band, Guitar and Music of all kinds for many years to students of all ages - currently high school students. Music is transformative in so many ways and I love being part of the process. I love songs that tell an interesting story


How did you come up with the idea for “Nurse Jane”?

When I was a teenager I used to attend a Summer School for the Arts at the former Tuberculosis Hospital that is the setting for Nurse Jane called Fort San. The hospital was built during World War I and after it closed, one of its uses was a summer school for the arts. In my 3 summers there, there was a lot of talk of the haunted nature of the place. Of course, being a TB Sanitorium many people died there. It was later on that I found out about the story of “Nurse Jane”. Apparently it is true.


You have played most of the instruments by yourself. Which one was the hardest to record?

Playing the accordion was a bit difficult because the accordion that we have at home belongs to my husband and it’s a very big one, so I found that difficult. I’m playing the muted trumpet solo on there as well. I scratched some bongos with my fingernails to try and imitate a ghost walking. That was kind of fun! 


The atmosphere of the story is impressive as well. How long did you work on the arrangement? 

Jackie K
I didn’t write an arrangement for this I just wanted the music to imitate the story. When I had it complete I sent it to my son. I am very fortunate to have a son, Sean Davis Newton, who is a Producer and Sean was able to take the recording and mix it. Sean also added the great wind effects, the plucky guitar sounds and some other things.


Do you have any plans to perform live on stage in the near future? 

I have a few local gigs coming up both in Saskatoon before the end of the summer. August 26th, d’Lish By Tish, and an event for the NDP on September 3rd.


How do you manage your time and energy as an indie artist? 

I find it really hard. I’m trying to book a short tour and it is taking a lot of time. Managing social media, and grant writing also take a lot of time. And it is time away from writing and playing music, as well as my family!


Who is your dream conversation partner for music, regardless of their living status?

Well, that’s a tough one! It’s a tie - John Lennon, and in the living category - Elvis Costello


What are you working on right now and what can we expect from you? 

I have a brand new music video coming out on August 18th for my song “I’m the Queen” . I'm pretty excited about it! I received a grant for the project and it was filmed at Stone Hall Castle in Regina, SK. It’s a lot of fun and was Directed by Gavin Baird. I’m always writing music and I just keep going. That’s what musicians do, right?

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist