Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 27.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   4  Stranger - Close to Monday   5  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   6  Firenight - Moon and Aries   7  The Elephants - Charles James and the Rise   8  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   9  Always/Never - Kallai 10  Come to the Night - The Cöln   11  Devenu Deux - Jagas 12  In den Tiefen der Nacht - Luke Tangerine, ROBSON DARKER 13  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 14  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 15  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 16  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee 17  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 18  Little Lovely - Double Triangle Single Edit - Double Triangle, King Crisis 19  Guillotine - Drella 20  In Waves - Lumari 21  Love - Lucy Dreams 22  Trouble - Grant Evans 23  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 24  Card Machine - Cameron Ferguson NEW 25  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 26  Modern Lies - The Breakdown 27  Antystar - AT-XYA, Jam

The Art of Waiting: “letter_silence on the airwaves” by Anna Hauss

Anna Hauss

Anna Hauss

... is a musical gem who shines with her acoustic indie soul and crystal-clear songwriting. The Berlin-based singer and guitarist captivates everyone who has a heart for profound songs. Her thoughtful songs are infused with groove and rhythm, and her voice is a versatile instrument that can whisper softly or soar high. Anna was born and raised in Berlin, in a home where art and creativity flourished. She studied jazz at the prestigious Leipzig conservatory, where she made a name for herself as the lead singer of the band Still in the Woods. The band toured internationally and gained a loyal fan base. After graduating, Anna collaborated on a song for the Netflix hit series “The Queen’s Gambit", which brought her global recognition. She is now working on her solo album, which will be released in the fall of 2023. Her first singles are already making waves in the music scene.



How did your passion for music begin and what are the main influences behind your musical style and identity?

My passion for music began when I played in my first band at the age of 14. Before that, I was also into music and singing along to songs I liked, but playing in a band made my passion for music even stronger. The main influences on my music are indie and soul artists like Lauryn Hill and Feist. But I also dabbled in jazz in my early twenties, and that influenced my sound as well. 

What was the inspiration behind your latest release, “letter_silence on the airwaves” and what’s the story behind it?

Musical inspirations for the song were 'Black Dog' by Arlo Parks and 'Paper Thin' by Lianne La Havas. I started writing the song in the spring of 2021 and didn't really know what it was about at first. I wrote it out of a feeling of sending someone a letter without expecting a response. A friend was in the hospital at the time and I sent her music thinking, "You don't have to respond, I just feel like sending something." Later that summer, I was talking to another friend about his problem with not replying to messages sometimes. So this also became the theme of this song: to try not to push for answers, but also to wait for them - and to be aware of both sides. 

The song is also part of your upcoming solo album, what can our readers look forward to?

Anna Hauss
...to a journey with intimate but also energetic songs and beautiful soundscapes. I think it's dreamy and confident at the same time. 

Did you select from a pool of tracks or did you have a concrete number that you worked on from the beginning?

At the beginning I didn't have a concrete number, but I wrote all the songs in a certain time frame, and I knew when I wrote the last track of the album, the title song, that it was finished. 

What are some of the challenges that you face by working on the album?

...that everyone is busy and you have to organize everything well to make it work. But apart from that, it was a less stressful and very intuitive and beautiful production.

Do you have any plans to perform live on stage soon?

Yes, I’ll be playing a few gigs this autumn: 
17.09. - NYC, The Owl Music Parlor Brooklyn
11.10. - Berlin, Schokoladen 
18.10. - Munich, Open Stage Import Export (solo)
19.10. - Munich, Alte Utting (solo) 
21.10. - Erfurt, Franz Mehlhose 
25.10. - Leipzig, Horns Erben 
28.10. - London, Camden Assembly (acoustic)

Who is your dream conversation partner for music, regardless of their living status?

I think there are a few artists I'd like to talk to, and also some producers, because I'm getting more and more interested in how I can best create the sound for my songs. I enjoy talking music with my current producer Alex Binder and I think we make a great team. I would also be interested in talking to Feist and Blake Mills, who co-produced her last album.

Do you still remember the first song you ever wrote?

Yes, I was 12 years old and looking outside the window at my dad's place. I was a bit bored and it was raining outside. Suddenly I was making a beat with a pen and singing to it: 'it's raining in the afternoon - but i don't mind'. That was my first song. 

How do you use social media to connect with your fans and grow your audience?

I try to use it more often, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I think it's important to post something that is relevant to me as an artist. I've started to get more personal in my music, but I don't feel like sharing everything from my personal life on social media. But I do try to keep in touch with my followers and also enjoy posting a snippet of a brand-new song or something unexpected sometimes.

What are your goals for the future?

First, play more shows and also continue to record new stuff. Right now, I'm writing a lot and I hope I'll manage to record more of it. I'm also curious about what else will come up and where I’m going to live. But I'm also trying not to plan too much and be more in the moment.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist