Skip to main content

Featured

Dutch Rhythm Gurus Channel Madchester Magic: “Love Can Take You Places” by Lemon

“Love Can Take You Places” by Lemon Today, we ride the wave of Lemon’s psychedelic groove, straight out of the wildest dreams of the Second Summer of Love. Primal Scream ’s ecstatic reverberations, Happy Mondays ’ swagger, Stone Roses ’ euphoric anthems, and The Charlatans ’ timeless rhythms collide with the avant-garde funk of Talking Heads , the indie jangle of The Kooks , and the electric fire of Kasabian , all converging in Lemon’s new release “Love Can Take You Places.” Welcome to Madchester, no, scratch that, this is undoubtedly Nedchester, reimagined by a quartet of Dutch rhythm gurus who are stirring up the scene with their unique brand of funky alternative rock.   Over 30 years ago, it was a cultural revolution that captured the spirit of a generation. It was a time when music and fashion collided, creating an explosion of self-expression that resonated through the streets of Manchester. This spirit has been embodied once more, blurring the lines between the old Hacienda god

... about the agonising lack of self control: “Refusing My Sobriety” by SoulWrekk

SoulWrekk

SoulWrekk

... is an emerging artist fueled by a passion for crafting musical compositions that explore the profundity of the human condition. Drawing inspiration from a diverse spectrum of musical genres and artists, SoulWrekk’s work embodies both ethereal and terrestrial elements. With a novel and inventive approach, SoulWrekk’s music harmonizes with audiences who aspire for a significant connection through sound.


Who is SoulWrekk as a person and an artist, and what is his story?

A person that is or feels lost, SoulWrekk is about a mix of all things, good and bad. In the early days, more precisely when I had just decided I wanted to go this route I knew I wanted to share love, spread a message about the _light that can be found in the most unexpected places_ from all over. Back then I craved to entertain, jump on a stage and connect with people on the same audio frequency. 
I used to fear the studio. But there was no way of getting my music out there and, well, made if I wouldn't step in a studio. Once I finally did, two amazing things happened. My producer and I instantly connected AND I started seeing all the fun that can be had while making music. Yes, the lyrics are often sad, but just like the light in unexpected places, the music, the production, they breathe. The studio is fun time, "the crying" is allocated to writing time - which I often only do alone - melodies and lyrics hit me at odd times but I love that right now.

How did you come up with the idea for “Refusing My Sobriety”?

Like I said, random. Though the soul of it, certainly was not random. I've always had a sort of addictive personality, ever since a child. Now I'm much less of a child but definitely suffering the consequences of my infantile choices. I even have a song romanticising alcohol (Mrs. Ethanol) I wrote during my year of sobriety, but I was only off the booze during that time. Cigarettes are the current cross I'm desperately hoping to get rid of, yet every day I wake up thirsting for another one. 
Refusing My Sobriety is a song that, rather than romanticising the toxicity, weils about the agonising lack of self control. It's an output for what I'm currently going through, and because I can't help but personify and compartmentalise I wrote the song like I felt it - regretting a romantic interest that never quits haunting me. (Which may or may not still apply)

The song is also part of your upcoming album, what can our readers look forward to?

Yesss! And I'm so incredibly excited for the album. I feel like I am a bit closer to really finding my true sound. Maybe not quite there yet, but almost. I would like to call this upcoming album my actual debut album and just call the prior one a diary entry. I loved making that album and love listening back to it, but it's pretty clear I wasn't quite SoulWrekk yet, only discovering the Wrekk. "Wrekkord Scratch" is a place where I finally feel comfortable identifying with SoulWrekk without feeling like a total fraud. 
The album's name refers to a moment when you leave a small mark, a scratch, on someone's life experience or vice versa. An innocent desire that goes a long way to feeding the soul. A desire I express in this album but also through this album. The stories are very near and dear to my heart, with some being more personal, and some more political - still very personal though. Some are rather dark, some are light-hearted. Some are more experimental, while some are easier to swallow. 
There's 15 songs, touching on everything from romance, to self image and insecurity, to addiction, to thoughts, to just life. Any more and I'm gonna spoil the whole thing, but the singles are coming so well together and the album will provide a whole new perspective. I can still mention it's gonna come out around the end of this year's fall.

Do you have any plans to perform live on stage in the near future?

Definitely. It's actually gonna be fully disclosed in the last music video in the singles cycle. I can give you the title of the single and the location of the show: "After The Tone", Bucharest, Romania. Stay in close touch to find out more about it.

How do you manage your time and energy as an indie artist?

I honestly don't. Like all jokes aside, time is easier managed but energy fluctuates. It's definitely no better dealing with my diagnoses, but music always fuels me. Time is whenever I can afford some creativity, so most likely late nights and smoke breaks. Energy is however I start the day, or set the tone for the ongoing week. Nothing more I can really say here, sorry.

Who is your dream conversation partner for music, regardless of their living status?

When you started your questionI was all ready to shoot, 'cause I always love to bring up how much of an inspiration Tech N9ne has been, artistically and individually as well. But to actually answer the question, since you added the "regardless of living status" clause, I must say Freddie Mercury. My choice might come as a surprise or might be terribly obvious. 
I've always felt an immense connection to Queen and their style of writing, especially Freddie's, though I enjoy Brian May's pen a good amount as well. (Freddie and I) We just seem to connect organically on how we view the world but even moreso on how we feel music and what we find most stimulating within it. My most burning question for him could probably seem a bit stupid but I'd really wanna know where did he find that strength.

What are you working on right now and what can we expect from you next?

That's an easy answer: the next thing. It's another "Wrekkord" series album, of course, and it's gonna be way grander than "Wrekkord Scratch". I'm a bit sad that some songs couldn't make it on this year's album but they didn't quite fit the energy. And also, they're way more ambitious, budget-wise if nothing else. There's a certain song on it that's already turned a year and two months today, but I NEED it to be backed by a full orchestra and that's not cheap (apparently). 
I'm just fully excited about everything happening or about to happen with SoulWrekk, this album or the next one or the next ones. I love writing and I love making music. I love being SoulWrekk and I don't intend on stopping anytime soon!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist