Skip to main content

Featured

A Séance of Sound: Verlatour’s Album ‘Immersion’ Conjures Otherworldly Beats!

‘Immersion (Album)’ by  Verlatour He’s a mad scientist who is awakening beats to life , and this time, he’s summoning the electronic gods to dance with mere mortals. Like a possessed maestro in a dimly lit warehouse, he lets the synthesizer wail, its oscillators and filters crafting a symphony of electronic sound that reverberates off the concrete walls, creating an atmosphere of magic.  The air crackles with anticipation, and Verlatour’s essence streams from the threads of pleasure-seeking and electronic vibes. Envision a progeny born of Daft Punk and Blade Runner’s union, nurtured by Kraftwerk’s hand amidst a vessel aglow with neon, dancing through the cosmos to the rhythm of the stars. Such is the quintessence of his musical creation.  His vocals? Sublime. They wrap around your brain like a velvet boa constrictor, squeezing out every ounce of inhibition. You’ll tap your feet, wiggle your head, and you’ll lose yourself in the void between dimensions. Because Verlatour opens these p

David Hobbes fuses Rock and Folk into a sonic explosion in his debut single!

David Hobbes

“Measure of Degree” by David Hobbes

With his debut single, “Measure of Degree”, David Hobbes reveals his musical vision and lyrical craft. The song is a mesmerizing story of a couple who are vastly diverse in many ways, but share a deep affinity for love. Hobbes renders his vocals with passion and conviction, while the music fuses rock and folk, supported by driving drums, into a sonic explosion. “Measure of Degree” is a song that exposes Hobbes’ talent and originality, and makes us eager to hear more from him.


When and how did you discover your love for music and what are the main sources of inspiration for your musical expression and identity?

It’s hard to point to one thing. I think it helped starting to play an instrument early in life (around age 6 or 7). I would say that being creative has always been important to me, and the challenge I’ve had is figuring out what is the best medium channel it through. 
 I’ve done a lot of different things, and came to a focus on songwriting rather late. I’m amazed by the great songwriters who started so young. Paul Simon was 23 when he wrote “Sounds of Silence”. Incredible! Took me a lot more years to get enough life lived and mistakes made to feel I had something to say and a right to say it.


What motivated you to create your song, “Measure Of Degree” and what is the message behind it?

When I write a song, often a line comes to me and it’s not until later that I understand what the song is about. This song is one of those. It started off as just a play on words: “She was always wrong, became a writer.” And then it turned into a window on two people in a relationship desperately trying to prove to themselves they are not who they fear themselves to be.
I once heard of a plastic surgeon who said the difference between beautiful and not beautiful was 2 millimeters. So close! I think in relationships, it can be that way, too. Just a measure of degree of separation, but it can feel worlds apart.

The song is also a part of your upcoming debut album, what can our readers expect from it?

David Hobbes, singer-songwriter
Yes, it’s the first single from the album “Searching For A Home” that will be released in November. What readers can expect is that there are 10 excellent songs on it, that all tell a story and have their own sound. They are not 9 other songs that sound like Measure of Degree. They have been meticulously crafted from the writing to production to post production. 
In sports, I hear the cliche “we left it all on the field”, and that comes up for me here with the album. I promise your readers that we have done everything we can to make this album a great listening experience, and I don’t think anyone will be bored.

Did you choose from a variety of tracks or did you have a specific number that you planned from the start?

It was always going to be 8 to 10. Frankly, I had a lot of doubts along the way (and still do) about whether, in the age of streaming services, it makes sense to make an album at all. But Rachel Efron (producer) really emphasized that there still was value in an album, and that it was the right way to introduce myself as a writer and performer. Keeping my fingers crossed she’s right, but I have found she usually is.

What are some of the obstacles that you encounter while working on the album?

As I said above, at times I resisted the idea of an album, and frankly, there’s times I’m not even sure a song makes sense. The 6 most ineffective words in the English language might be, ‘I wrote a song about that.” I mean, John Lennon said everything there was to say with “Imagine,” and look at the world today….
At one point, I’d almost given up on the project. I hadn’t written anything for a while, and was driving through Idaho, and found myself listening to Jeff Tweedy’s audiobook How to Write One Song. He was so damn sure that songs are important, it made me think twice and that trip I started writing the title song, “Searching For A Home,” which became my personal favorite on the album, and got things back on track.

Do you have any upcoming live performances that you are excited about?

I am always excited to play live. As mentioned earlier, I have come to this later in life, and my first obligation is being very present and active in my young son’s life. That means a job to pay the considerable bills here in California, along with other constraints. I plan to have an album release show here later in the year, and before then do my best to get out and play when I can make schedules work.

Who would you love to talk to about music, whether they are alive or not?

Paul Simon, Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison (sorry Ringo - I love you as a drummer!!), both Avett brothers, John McCrea (CAKE), Beethoven, Bach, Cole Porter, Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice (Evita)…I’ll be kicking myself tomorrow for all the people I should be listing but these come off the top of my head.

Do you still remember the first song that you ever wrote?

Yup. I was in high school. My friend Aaron and I had started a lawn mowing business and used our first proceeds to go buy guitars. (I still have the Yamaha I bought and still love it.). We wrote a song in his basement. I don’t remember it well, but I think I still know the changes and basic melody. It wasn’t too bad, as I remember...

What are your aspirations for the future?

I would love to make another album. I’m continuing to write and dare say I’m getting better. And by better it means I’m getting from idea to final draft quicker. I worked for Rachel for 4 years on the songs on this album, and there was a lot of rewriting. I’m getting better at rewriting as I go along. I’m also feeling more confident in my particular way of saying what I have to say.
This album was a push from me. No one was asking me to make it. My secret aspiration is that this album connect with enough people where there is an external group saying, “We want you to make another album, and we’ll be here to listen when you’re done."

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist