Skip to main content

Featured

VC’s ‘The Finest Times’: A Soundtrack for the Soul’s Descent

‘The Finest Times’ by  Vincent Christ He doesn’t need to convince us, he already has. Vincent Christ, or ‘VC’ as the aether whispers in the dimly lit back alleys of the underground scene, has detonated another sound bomb in the cultural consciousness . ‘The Finest Times’ is an auditory hallucination, a trip down the rabbit hole with a post-punk soundtrack , where every hook is a claw tearing at the fabric of reality, every jangle a siren call to the decadent depths of our souls, and every word a gut punch straight from the fevered brow of a mad poet. VC is on a kamikaze mission for the perfect sound . He’s casting spells, conjuring a hypnotic brew as organic as the primal rhythms pulsating through our very being. With a rebel yell and a sly wink, he strums the strings with a touch that’s both icy and burning, a paradox in every note. The crowd can’t help but be drawn in, their feet tapping to the rhythm of a world that’s constantly spinning just out of reach. And just when they think

The Rise and Fall of a Wonderful Romance: “A Song of Love, A Song of Sorrow” by Stephen Altschuler

Stephen Altschuler

The music of singer and songwriter Stephen Altschuler is a harmonious mixture of different musical influences, such as folk, rock, pop, and country. He creates songs that are personal, poetic, and sometimes humorous, reflecting his life experiences and observations. His music is marked by catchy melodies, expressive vocals, and thoughtful lyrics. He is a prolific songwriter who has composed amazing songs over the years. Stephen is always exploring new ways to express himself and connect with his listeners through his music.


How did music become your passion, and what influences your musical style and identity?

Throughout my early childhood, I was most affected musically by my parents. My mother was a talented piano player and singer, specializing in Classical music of Chopin, show tunes of the 50’s, and Yiddish tunes. My Dad was a natural percusionist and would accompany her. i would literally fall asleep under the piano at times when 5 or 6 , with my Mom playing when guests were present, prompting my Dad to carry me up to bed! Later, i was most influenced by Elvis, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, and the Beatles.

What was the motivation behind your song, “A Song of Love, A Song of Sorrow”?

The motivation behind this song was a love affair with a woman that started wonderfully, with great expectations, and ended quite sadly with much Sturm und Drang. My Buddhist practice got me through it.

Stephen Altschuler’s songs always narrate a story. What are the sources of your inspiration and what are the most difficult aspects of songwriting?

My songs are mostly sourced from intense relationships I’ve had with women, both exhilarating and forlorn. I’ve also written songs about subjects that affect me emotionally such as the natural world, places where I’ve lived, courageous public figures, injustices, and natural disasters such as huge forest fires that I’ve lived through. The most difficult aspects of songwriting are what Hemingway called “getting the words right.” Once I get the words to where I want them, then the tune is also for me difficult since I am not a formally trained musician. But given those things, I still derive great pleasure in coming up with a satisfying song.

How do you determine when a song is complete and ready to be released to the public?

Taking off from my previous comments, when I get the words and music where they are pleasing and satisfying, I set the song aside for awhile, and come back to it for revisions. That time away from the song is important, allowing me perspective as I think and reflect some on whether I’ve said what I want to convey in the song. That revision process could go on for quite some time before I decide the song is ready for production and distribution to the public.

If you could pick a special venue for a show, where would you like to play?

I’ve never been there, but I would pick the venue that Joni Mitchell chose for her courageous comeback recently: The Gorge outdoor venue in Southeastern Washington state.

Who is your dream conversation partner for music, regardless of their living status?

That would be Bob Dylan, one of the greatest songwriters ever, who knows a lot about the history of music as well.

Do you still remember the first song you created?

Yes, the first song I ever wrote was on April 4, 1968, a requiem for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who was shot and murdered early that evening in Memphis, Tennessee. I wrote it in the Temple University library in Philadelphia PA where I attended college, while riots were beginning to rage in the streets of America.

What are your dreams and plans for your musical career?

I am now 77 years of age, and have never been a professional singer. My career was in the social services of which I am retired from. I am also in my fifth year of remission from cancer and heart failure. I am still a songwriter though, hoping that my songs will be covered by current professional singers, and perhaps achieve the status of hits before I pass from this life.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist