Skip to main content

Featured

A Séance of Sound: Verlatour’s Album ‘Immersion’ Conjures Otherworldly Beats!

‘Immersion (Album)’ by  Verlatour He’s a mad scientist who is awakening beats to life , and this time, he’s summoning the electronic gods to dance with mere mortals. Like a possessed maestro in a dimly lit warehouse, he lets the synthesizer wail, its oscillators and filters crafting a symphony of electronic sound that reverberates off the concrete walls, creating an atmosphere of magic.  The air crackles with anticipation, and Verlatour’s essence streams from the threads of pleasure-seeking and electronic vibes. Envision a progeny born of Daft Punk and Blade Runner’s union, nurtured by Kraftwerk’s hand amidst a vessel aglow with neon, dancing through the cosmos to the rhythm of the stars. Such is the quintessence of his musical creation.  His vocals? Sublime. They wrap around your brain like a velvet boa constrictor, squeezing out every ounce of inhibition. You’ll tap your feet, wiggle your head, and you’ll lose yourself in the void between dimensions. Because Verlatour opens these p

When monsters and men seem to switch places: “monsters and men” by jupiter flynn

jupiter flynn

jupiter flynn

From Amsterdam to the world, jupiter flynn has seen it all. She found music in the midst of her pain and sorrow. Music was her sanctuary and her redemption when the world overwhelmed her. Her songs are like whispers of indie-pop, but they also roar with her soulful voice and her wise words. Now she is back with “monsters and men”, a burst of indie pop/rock energy that explores the fears of youth: under beds and on streets to the club, in the last train, on the home stretch to the door, and even in love, when monsters and men seem to switch places.


We appreciate your time and we always start with this question to give our readers a glimpse of who you are. What is the story of the person behind the artist jupiter flynn and what sparked your interest in music?

Thanks, I’m glad to answer some of your questions! I started writing songs at pretty much the lowest point of my life when I was 15. Writing down what I felt was like therapy, so I kept on doing it and haven’t stopped since. I never thought I’d be a musician when I was younger, I actually hated singing as a kid, but here we are!

Your new single, “monsters and men”, is out now. It’s a brilliant indie pop song with a touch of rock, that’s how I would characterize it musically. But the lyrics deal with a very serious issue that you address. What inspired you to write this song, did you have a specific experience or is it the "long-time-situation" of this problem?

jupiter flynn, singer and songwriter
I think every female read person has their experiences revolving around this subject. I always knew it was a problem and it always bothered me, and at some point it just got too much. I wrote “monsters and men” without even thinking of releasing it, I was just expressing what I felt at the time. It wasn’t until my publisher suggested releasing it that I realized this is what I want to stand up and spread awareness for. And the comments I’m getting underneath my tiktoks are heartbreaking - every female read person knows what it’s like and they all have their story. It makes me sad and happy at the same time that people are interacting with content like that.

What is your way of creating or how would you describe your creative process?

I write when I feel the need to write, that’s probably why most of my songs tend to be sad/ have sad lyrics. The best songs are the ones that I write in one session, those are the most honest.

You announce an EP for 2024, what can we expect?

Very sad, angry and relatable lyrics! It’s a mix of songs you can dance and cry to :)

Amsterdam, Tokyo, New York, Sydney and now Berlin, which city do you think has shaped you the most?

I know this probably sounds very cliche, but I lived in these cities during different parts of my life and they all shaped me in different ways. But probably Berlin the most, this was the only place where I was completely on my own at the start, where I’ve been hurt the most and where I wrote most of my songs.

Do you have any upcoming live performances that you are excited about?

Yes! The PopCamp concert on the 10th of November with a couple other artists at Festsaal Kreuzberg!!

What bothers you the most about being an artist?

The social media part. I don’t hate it, but I hate the fact that it’s obligatory and that musicians have to be content creators nowadays.

Besides music, what are your passions?

I love psychology and natural sciences in general! In a different life I would've studied chemistry :) And apart from that I really like everything that revolves around video shooting (editing, grading, story telling).

What are your aspirations for the future?

Playing in Webster Hall in NYC, being Cavetowns support and seeing myself on a Times Square billboard! I know those are big goals, but you gotta dream big, right?

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist