Skip to main content

Featured

VC’s ‘The Finest Times’: A Soundtrack for the Soul’s Descent

‘The Finest Times’ by  Vincent Christ He doesn’t need to convince us, he already has. Vincent Christ, or ‘VC’ as the aether whispers in the dimly lit back alleys of the underground scene, has detonated another sound bomb in the cultural consciousness . ‘The Finest Times’ is an auditory hallucination, a trip down the rabbit hole with a post-punk soundtrack , where every hook is a claw tearing at the fabric of reality, every jangle a siren call to the decadent depths of our souls, and every word a gut punch straight from the fevered brow of a mad poet. VC is on a kamikaze mission for the perfect sound . He’s casting spells, conjuring a hypnotic brew as organic as the primal rhythms pulsating through our very being. With a rebel yell and a sly wink, he strums the strings with a touch that’s both icy and burning, a paradox in every note. The crowd can’t help but be drawn in, their feet tapping to the rhythm of a world that’s constantly spinning just out of reach. And just when they think

The New Sound of the Old Gods: "Odin, Far Wanderer" by Ullrson

Ullrson

Ullrson

Nick Bowman, aka Ullrson, is a techno virtuoso who has been at the helm of “The Future Underground Show” for a decade and a half, showcasing the finest talents of the global techno scene. 
His stellar performances at iconic clubs in London and beyond, coupled with his triumph at the coveted IDJ magazine contest that catapulted him to fame, have earned him a loyal fanbase. His sets are a sonic feast of thumping bass and eclectic techno rhythms.


What is the story of the person behind the artist named Ullrson and how did music become your passion?

I have been a huge music fan ever since I was a young boy. My dad is a keen guitarist and my older brother played the drums. Queen is the first band I remember being into and I remember my Dad having several of their vinyls. The first album cover I can remember seeing is Queen - News of the World with the giant robot on the cover. As a teenager I got heavily into bands from Manchester and the Madchester scene. 
Ullrson, Viking Techno
Bands like The Stone Roses, Oasis, Happy Mondays, Joy Division and New Order were among my favourites. Bands such as The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays were like a bridge to discovering electronic music and also Noel Gallagher collaborations with The Chemical Brothers such as Let Forever Be. It was during this period that I became a massive fan of The Prodigy and they still are one of my favourite bands. No Good (Start the Dance) sends shivers down the spine, it's so good. So many The Prodigy songs are classics and will stand the test of time. 
I used to play the guitar a bit but found my true calling when I got into DJing. I think it was around 2008 when I first played at Ministry of Sound and was regularly playing in Norwich. In 2009 I won the International DJ Magazine "Raw Talent" competition which was a huge motivator for me. In the same year I started presenting The Future Underground Show on Future Radio in Norwich every Saturday night, live. Presenting a show weekly was a lot of work so in 2011 I moved the show to a monthly basis on Digitally Imported FM's Techno channel. I'm still presenting the show and I believe it could be one of the oldest techno radio shows still going.


“Odin, Far Wanderer” is a song with an amazing underground flair. How did you find the right sounds and what's the story behind the song?

Thanks very much. In around 2017/2018 I discovered pagan/heathen music and got heavily into it. Bands such as Heilung, Wardruna and Danheim have been a huge influence. In 2018 I had the idea to start producing Viking Techno music. The first track was started in 2018. Odin, Far Wanderer was the second track I produced and was pretty much ready a good few years ago. I have been waiting for the right time to start my label and release the music to the world. I felt that during the Covid era it wasn't really the right time as there were so many restrictions and I have had a few other things that threw a spanner in the works and delayed me starting the label.
It was from listening to the aforementioned bands that I got ideas on what to use in my tracks. I went digging for horns, lyres, jaw harps, tagelharpas, wildlife sounds and percussive elements from nature.
Odin is a god that has been a great inspiration for me. He is a god of poetry, wisdom and magic. I have been fascinated with the mysterious, the dead, the unexplained and the arts since I was a young lad. Odin is a fascinating god and is the master of runes. I have been working with the runes for a number of years in the form of galdr (chanting the runes) and for divination so I naturally gravitate to Odin. He has a reputation for wandering often in disguise and using many different names, for example Harbard. The name Nick is also connected to Odin!


DJ, Producer, and Radio Host: What’s your favorite part of your work?

Ullrson, DJ
That is a really difficult question. For instant gratification it would have to be djing. There is nothing like the feeling of euphoria of getting a full club dancing their butts off! For long-term reward and feeling of accomplishment it would be producing music. All those hours spent sitting in front of the computer are worth it when you have produced a piece of music you're truly happy with. 
In relation to being a radio host, it's not that hard, I just record my voice and add it to my mix or guest mixes on my show. Funnily enough, I actually used to find it easier presenting the show live and just speaking into the mic with a few beers in my system and really getting into it. 
For years I have been doing it pre-recorded and sometimes I have to do a few takes as I can find myself tripping over words 😅


Ullrson also means new record label; how did it come about and are you open for submissions as well?

Ullr is another god I feel greatly connected to. He is the god of archery, duals, oaths, magic and skiing. Being a Bowman myself, I felt a natural affinity to Ullr. Maybe it's in my DNA but the few times I did archery in the past it felt very natural and almost like I had done it before in some distant past life. I've recently started archery classes because I feel I can't call myself Ullrson without being a reasonable Bowman! 
I have several tracks ready and will probably release a few singles and then maybe an album. I will be looking to take submissions, I want to start a whole Viking Techno movement.


What are the steps or stages that you go through when you make music?

Ullrson, Producer
I pretty much always start with working on the kick and bass. Obviously in techno the low-end is very important and as in most four-on-the-floor music getting that right and getting that basic foundation right is fundamental. I use Ableton and always start in session view. I will scour my library for suitable sounds. In the case of Viking Techno, I listen for suitable horn sounds and the instruments I mentioned earlier. Sometimes I will start with percussion and other times melodies.


If you had the opportunity to work with any artist, who would you pick and why?

Working with any of the three artists I mentioned earlier would be amazing. They aren't techno artists but I find their music truly inspirational. I have had some really spiritual experiences banging my drum while watching the Youtube live show of Heilung. They offer a truly shamanic experience and it really does feel like stepping back in time.

Being active on social media is a must for musicians today. How do you feel about that and what are the pros and cons?

I struggle with social media. I was excited about it in the days of Myspace and the early days of Facebook. Over the years I have found myself posting less and less. I remember years ago buying a book called The Shallows which is about what the internet is doing to our brains. I felt back then that in many ways it wasn't making me happy. 
However, in this day and age it seems to be a necessary "evil" because almost everyone is on it. I only just opened an Instagram and TikTok account. When Instagram came out I didn't see the point in it as you can post photos on Facebook. Now I gather that Instagram is more popular than Facebook and here I am in 2023 a little bit late in the game! I will be posting a lot more on social media in the coming months and maybe I will grow to like it more.


What are some of the projects or plans that you have in mind for the near future?

I intend to release a number of Viking Techno tracks and possibly then an album. My initial idea was to release an album straight off the bat but learnt that that's probably not the best strategy. I am also keen on starting a whole Viking Techno movement and hopefully signing other artists to Ullrson Records.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist