Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 27.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   4  Stranger - Close to Monday   5  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   6  Firenight - Moon and Aries   7  The Elephants - Charles James and the Rise   8  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   9  Always/Never - Kallai 10  Come to the Night - The Cöln   11  Devenu Deux - Jagas 12  In den Tiefen der Nacht - Luke Tangerine, ROBSON DARKER 13  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 14  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 15  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 16  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee 17  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 18  Little Lovely - Double Triangle Single Edit - Double Triangle, King Crisis 19  Guillotine - Drella 20  In Waves - Lumari 21  Love - Lucy Dreams 22  Trouble - Grant Evans 23  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 24  Card Machine - Cameron Ferguson NEW 25  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 26  Modern Lies - The Breakdown 27  Antystar - AT-XYA, Jam

An inner dialogue about life: “Robyn” by Isabel Maria

Isabel Maria

“Robyn” by Isabel Maria

With her delicate indie-folk-pop ballads, Isabel Maria from Sunderland captivates the listeners. Whoever does not know her music yet should not let this opportunity pass them by. Isabel addresses topics such as mental health, human relationships and social injustices in her lyrics bravely and honestly, and gives musical expression to her emotions. 
“Robyn”, a song from her fantastic debut EP “The Melodramatic Milers Club”, testifies to this artistry. The song is a letter to her younger self, in which she deals with her childhood. What became of the promises and plans that developed so differently from what one had hoped? At which crossroads did one take the wrong direction, which ultimately made one what one is today? 
Questions that one can ask one’s younger self, but the answer will not change the past, unfortunately. This inner dialogue is musically staged masterfully, it resembles the blossoming of spring, everything begins to grow slowly, to take shape, and the next cut is only a matter of time. Wistfully, one looks back. To this topic, Isabel’s singing gives pure emotions a voice, sad, fragile and yet strong in her sound. “Robyn”, a song that not only touches, but also breathes and tells. A song about the way to find ourselves, to find our meaning, to find our life.

Greetings, Isabel. We are grateful for your time. Let us begin with our first question: How did you develop your passion for music and what are the main influences that shape your musical style and identity?

I have always loved to write - when I was a kid I used to try and write books, plays, instruction manuals (literally everything) until I discovered songwriting. My grandad gifted me a keyboard he found in his attic to write songs on, and the rest is history, really! I’m really into modern artists like Taylor Swift, but also singer-songwriters like Joni Mitchell who’ve been around a little longer.
I also have the Young Musicians Project to thank - they’re a group of musicians in Sunderland (where I live) and they really introduced me to the art of performing live and sharing my music with others.

What motivated you to create your release, “Robyn”, and what is the story behind it?

I guess the story starts with the fact that I was nearly called Robyn when I was born, until my parents decided on the name Isabel instead. At the time when I wrote it I was just feeling super down, and wished I was a child again - hence the title. I suppose Robyn is a bit of a letter to my younger self in that way.

Do you believe that life itself is the best storyteller or is it too personal to share your own story?

Personally I think songwriting, in its simplest terms, is just a more graceful way of oversharing. My songs are all about my own life, and they’re really personal, but for me it’s about turning hellish experiences into something that sounds pretty and connects you with other people.

The song is part of your remarkable EP "The Melodramatic Milers Club". How would you summarise it in a sentence (or two) for our readers?

Oh, thank you - ‘remarkable’ is kind. I’d say that EP is a collection of sad, walkable tunes that tell my own little story of young adolescence. And - as sad as the final product may be - I did actually have a blast making it with Harbourmaster Productions.

What are some of the difficulties that you encounter as a musician in the contemporary music industry?

I think I’ve been pretty lucky with my experiences so far - I have adored everything I’ve been a part of and I’ve been allowed so many opportunities locally. I guess my answer is that I’d love to see more and more diversity come into play within music, which is always a good thing! That and writer’s block.

Do you have any intentions to perform live on stage in the near future?

Yeah! I’m aiming to get in some festivals in the summer (fingers crossed), and I’ve got a couple of gigs coming up supporting names like Paul Smith and Gabriel Moreno.

How do you utilise social media to communicate with your fans and expand your audience?

As much as it can also be a really weird strange place and I try not to spend forever on social media, I do love its ability to connect you with people you wouldn’t have otherwise met. My resolution for this year is to put more rough music out on there without worrying about it being perfect - I see a lot of people do that and I sometimes love it more than a finished product.
I also have some videos of my EP, The Melodramatic Milers Club out on YouTube, which is another platform I’m dabbling with a bit more. Look me up, I’m Isabel Maria on there too!

Which renowned song would you have wished to write?

This one is so tricky because I love so many songs! There are a million niche answers I could give you but I’m going to go for a more well known one: Silver Springs by Fleetwood Mac. It’s just such a pretty song and the words are so honest.

What are your aspirations and plans for your musical career?

Honestly right now I’m just looking to get more people listening! I’m really proud of the things I have in the works right now - I’m back in the studio next week. I’d love to play some bigger shows this year too, hopefully I can land some festivals!


NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist