Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

“James” by Danny Webster

"James" by Danny Webster

A song that evokes the melancholy and fascination one experiences when returning to one’s hometown after a long absence. A song that illustrates the contrasts and continuity that mould life. A song that poses the questions that everyone who has left their roots confronts: Shall I stay here? Shall I come back? What lies ahead for me? 
“James” by Danny Webster is such a song. He depicts a vivid image of change, hope and curiosity, and envelops them in exquisite indie folk/pop melodies. With a wistful gaze, one peers out of the train window until one reaches the home station. A splendidly successful song!


How did you fall in love with music, and what shapes your musical expression and identity?

I fell in love with music at a very young age! My family went to church regularly as a kid so I grew up listening to these old choral works all the time. I was immediately enthralled in the beautiful and haunting choral harmonies and compositions. From then on, my parents exposed me to 70’s and 80s rock and I soon became fascinated with the many different avenues music can take. Over time, my biggest influences became the Beatles, Tame Impala, Big Thief, ABBA, Bon Iver and the Beach Boys.

What inspired you to write your song, “James”?

The song James was inspired by visiting my hometown and noticing how things and people change every time. Shops close down, condos are built, and people age. I always find it bittersweet returning, because I guess I want my home remain still when I’m gone. So I thought about that for a while, and ended up with the song James, inspired by artists like Andy Shauf, Alex G and Big Thief.

How do you know when a song is finished and ready to share with the world?

I have been thinking about this and asking my musician friends about this recently. I don’t think you ever really know, but I guess it’s when you realize that any changes made won’t necessarily make it better, just different. But jeez that can be so hard to know. I find having a strict deadline can help you know when you need to put it down but dang it can be really tough, you can literally work on something forever. I will get back to you when I finally figure it out!

If you could choose any place to perform, where would it be?

I would love to play some headline shows in Toronto, ‘cause that’s where my community is, as well as the Mariposa Folk Festival in my hometown, ‘cause it just means so much to me. But way down the line, would love to play some big festivals like Coachella and Osheaga. One day !

Who would you love to talk to about music, whether they are alive or not?

My all-time biggest hero has got to be Paul McCartney. I mean that guy is just a hit-making machine. His discography is so so massive and I’ve always connected to his writing and producing. I wish I could ask him about his process and where he draws inspiration from especially after such a long career. But aside from him, all my biggest influences mentioned. Would love to pick their huge brains.

Do you still recall the first song you ever wrote?

Not quite sure the first one, but I do remember a little chorus I wrote when I was like 6 called the Colourful Man, about this fictional character I created who was made of every colour. I remember one of the lines being “He was like a dream from the sun” or something along those lines. I really took songwriting seriously when I was 15 or so though, had a lot of feelings I needed to release!

What are your aspirations for 2024?

For 2024, I’m excited to release my 4th album, Two Worlds in the spring. It’s some of my best recordings and I’m really looking forward to people hearing them. Beyond that, I’m hoping to get started on some new material and work on promoting my music better online, and maybe play some shows too :)


NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist