Skip to main content

Featured

A Séance of Sound: Verlatour’s Album ‘Immersion’ Conjures Otherworldly Beats!

‘Immersion (Album)’ by  Verlatour He’s a mad scientist who is awakening beats to life , and this time, he’s summoning the electronic gods to dance with mere mortals. Like a possessed maestro in a dimly lit warehouse, he lets the synthesizer wail, its oscillators and filters crafting a symphony of electronic sound that reverberates off the concrete walls, creating an atmosphere of magic.  The air crackles with anticipation, and Verlatour’s essence streams from the threads of pleasure-seeking and electronic vibes. Envision a progeny born of Daft Punk and Blade Runner’s union, nurtured by Kraftwerk’s hand amidst a vessel aglow with neon, dancing through the cosmos to the rhythm of the stars. Such is the quintessence of his musical creation.  His vocals? Sublime. They wrap around your brain like a velvet boa constrictor, squeezing out every ounce of inhibition. You’ll tap your feet, wiggle your head, and you’ll lose yourself in the void between dimensions. Because Verlatour opens these p

Q&A Today: Lysah ("You’re my home")

Lysah

Lysah

... is a singer-songwriter from Vienna who has acclimatised herself to the world of commercial dream pop, but also enjoys venturing into the electro-pop genre or blending them together. With her single “You’re my home” released at the end of January, she impressed us. 
 is about relinquishing one’s comfort zone for the sake of love, installing doors on walls and incorporating close people. That is not always facile, naturally. A moat that life draws around us is often engendered by frustrations, and fear has endeavored to preserve it. It requires courage to take these steps to be or become happy in the end. 
“You’re my home” addresses this topic suitably and conveys these feelings to the listeners. Lysah’s performance and the musical arrangement harmonise perfectly, afford each other space to unfold and augment subtly towards the end. “You’re my home” by Lysah is a song for everyone who regards love as their home.


How did you get into music and who are your biggest influences?

I grew up surrounded by music. Although there are no musicians in my family, my parents loved listening to Pop music day and night. We listened to everything from Madonna, Enya, Celine Dion or Whitney Houston to Duran Duran, Boy George and Robbie Williams. 
We had dance parties every Sunday, where my sister and I were spinning around until we were dizzy. I was absolutely mesmerized by the music we listened to, so when I turned 7, my parents bought my first guitar. And all I’ve wanted to do since then was make music that grabs the listener and makes them feel something.

What inspired you to write “You’re my home” and what’s the story behind it?

My aim was to capture the moments I felt when I spent time with the person closest to me. I’d always been an independent and self-sufficient person and had built protective walls around me. But the love and safety I was shown allowed me to take my walls down, brick by brick. Letting someone into your life and especially your heart requires courage and vulnerability. We are all so cautious and afraid of getting hurt, but the most beautiful things in life happen outside our comfort zone.

I heard you have a new EP coming out. What can we look forward to?

Lysah, Vienna
My upcoming EP is my most personal project to date. I’ve allowed myself to explore and develop my own sound and create a collection of 4 stories, told through distinctive soundscapes and emotive lyrics. I consider myself extremely lucky to get to work with an amazing producer who understands my vision and supports my involvement in the production process. It’s what makes this project so special and personal.

Do you have any plans to play live shows anytime soon? 

I’m currently building my live set and am in the process of booking some gigs for later this year.

As a solo artist, are there any musicians you’d love to work with?

There’s so many artists I adore and would love to work with. Someone I would absolutely love to do a collaboration with is Banks. I just love her unapologetic lyricism and her fierce vocal style; she’s definitely had an impact on my songwriting. I’m also a big fan of Victoria Canal, Halsey and James Bay, who are all just incredible musicians that I’d love to work with one day.

What are some of the challenges you face as a musician in today’s music industry?

I feel like getting your music heard is extremely hard. With over 100.000 new songs being released on Spotify every single day, it feels like just making good music is not enough anymore. As an artist nowadays, you have to basically become an influencer to promote your music, which I personally find quite challenging. 
However, this allows independent artists to be in control and to make music without having to rely on a record label. So, I feel like every challenge comes with opportunities and we all just have to find our own way of navigating them.

How do you use social media to connect with your fans and grow your fanbase and what’s your go-to platform?

My current go-to platform is Instagram. I just love the conversations I can have with my listeners there. Instagram allows me to not only promote my music but also share parts of my personal life, which I feel is vital in order to build a connection with my audience and grow sustainably.

Do you still remember the first song you ever wrote?

Following the footsteps of my musical icons at the time, I remember my first song being a ballad with simple lyrics and lots of belting. I’ve since moved on from power ballads, but the emotional aspect of my songwriting stayed.

What are your goals for the future?

My main goal is to keep making music that moves people. I think it’s the most rewarding feeling when somebody connects with your song. For that reason, I’m also really looking forward to going on tour someday.


photo credits: Daniel Willinger




NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist