Skip to main content

Featured

Caught Between Reality and Reverie: “Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite

“Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite “Woman in the Window” emerges like a delicate mist, its tendrils weaving through the listener’s senses. In the quietude of indie-folk, Elizabeth Cuite’s artistry blooms, inspired by the shadows of unfulfilled promises and the ache of longing. Each note is a dab of color on a canvas of emotions, and the resulting work is both haunting and exquisite.  The guitar strings resonate like whispered secrets, and Cuite’s voice, clear yet imbued with vulnerability, paints vivid scenes. The musical arrangement moves with delicate precision, honoring the essence of the story. The gentle plucking of the acoustic guitar echoes softly, akin to the sound of steps traversing an old wooden floor. Cuite’s poetic prowess writes tales of missed opportunities, of paths not taken, and of love that lingers like a half-remembered melody. Her words are fragile, yet they carry entire musical universes within.  Elizabeth Cuite blends indie-pop nuances with folk, creatin

A Song that Makes You Smile and Cry: “New Day” by Tim Compagna

Tim Compagna

“New Day” by Tim Compagna

He is a singer and songwriter from Vancouver, who has had a remarkable career as a remix artist and has worked with some of the biggest names in the music industry. We are talking about Tim Compagna, whom we are proud to introduce today on our blog. Will.i.am, Britney Spears, Macklemore and Maroon 5 are just a few from the list of his collaborations
But what good is all that if life had a different path for him? He lost his wife to a terminal illness. He wrote: “It’s a surreal experience when you lose someone you love. It turns your world upside down and reminds us that our time here is not infinite.” 
Inspired by his personal experiences and emotions, he decided to pursue his passion for writing his own songs. Set in the genre of pop/rock, he shares his emotions, impressions, and experiences. His latest release “New Day” also belongs to this category. A great feel-good song that cheers you up and puts a smile on the face of the listeners. A song that invites you to think about your own life, take a step to the side and look at yourself from the outside. 
Musically, he puts this topic in the singer/songwriter bed and harvests finest indie-folk with light pop vibrations. “New Day” is certainly one of those rare songs that manage to spread feel-good vibes, but as soon as you know the story behind it, also reflects this infinite sadness. 
Tim Compagna gives us with “New Day” undoubtedly a song that takes us out of loneliness, puts a smile on our face, but still lets a tear run down our cheek. “New Day” is a great piece of music that you just have to love! Learn more about Tim Compagna in the interview below.


Tim, thank you for your time. Let us start with the first question:
Who is Tim Compagna as a person behind the artist, and what or who ignited your passion for music?

I have always loved being creative. Writing songs, painting, photagraphy or even film editing. But I was not always like that. As a kid it was more about sports and girls. I first started writing music at the age of 13. Something that I fell into thanks to my father who one day had this crazy idea of forming a band with my two brothers and I for an upcoming coming family renuion. It was a bit of a stretch considering that we really had no musical experience. As a result, we only lasted one rehersal and then everybody quit. But like the story goes with so many young artist, It was from that experience that I was hooked on writing songs. Its all I wanted to do! I would play guitar and sing for hours on end. The rest was history.
Everything came pretty early in my career. At age 17, I began playing with a group called "Secret Society" and eventually a band called "Airwave" Both groups enjoyed some radio success and I was exposed to some amazing people along the way working with musicians and producers in North America and Europe. Aside from being an artist, I developed a real love of music recording and production. This led to my eventually opening recording studios in Vancouver and Toronto where I began working as a music producer and remix artist. I love the process of writing songs and taking a project from start to finish.
My first real major success came in 2013 while doing a remix for will.i.am & Britney Spears. The song "Scream & Shout" reached #34 on the US Pop Charts. This really opened up a lot of opportunities for me. Later that year, I did a mix of Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" which also did quite well reaching #50 on the charts. Since then, I've gone on to produced mix's for a number of other artists including Maroon 5, Icona Pop, Tove Lo and the X-Ambassadors. I've been very fortunate.

What are the main influences on your musical style?

I typically have always enjoyed writing melodic, hip feel good songs. Something that became a remedy years later as I dealt with the loss of my wife to a terminal illness. So many of the tracks I write are inspired from those difficult experiences. During those 4 1/2 years, hope and resiliance played such a key role. Trying to be positive.

How did you transition from being a Remix Artist to a Singer/Songwriter?

It was during that time of my life when my wife was ill that I began stepping away from the music industry. I was very fortunate to have been successful as a remix artist and this allowed me to dedicated my time to my family. After she passed away, I took a 2 year hiatis. I decided to go back to doing what I really loved which is writing songs. Its all pretty shiny new again. I'm very grateful for the opportunity. I still do the odd remix project :)

Your latest track, “New Day,” is a catchy feel-good song. What’s the story behind it?

It was initially a song I wrote for my late wife when she was going through her cancer treatments. You become a bit of a cheerleader during these moments. Taking stock of the good and trying to stay positive and focused during the more difficult times. She was a very positive and strong person and taught me a lot about gratitiude and setting your intentions. This is a common theme in a number of my songs like "Chasing Rainbows" and "Superhero Girl". New day makes me smile.


What’s the most challenging part of completing a song for you?

I typically write the songs in my head first. Lyrics, music and production. I have a pretty good idea about how its supposed to sound. Of course its all easier said then done :) Lyrics take the most time.

If you could talk to anyone about music, regardless of whether they are alive or not, who would it be?

Paul McCartney. I can listen to him talk for days about music, life and the beatles.


In your opinion, how has social media shaped the music industry?

I feel so old sometimes. The music business used to be such a gatekeeper industry. Since its become digital, Its more of a floodgate. Its so much easier to create and release music. Social media has given amazing opportunities to everyone to release music. Its a great feeling to be more in control of your own career, But things moves fast. The attention span is very short now. You need to market on a number of different platforms and have Lots of engaging content. It's very much a work in progress for me :)

Which song would you have liked to write?

The theme for "Spongebob square pants" I've written a lot of music for film and I know how much money that song makes! It's crazy!!

What are your goals for the near future?

I'm trying to just have fun with it. Life is a journey and you just don't know what lies ahead. With that said, Im hoping to expand my catalog and keep it real. Its important that we enjoy the ride.



NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist