Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 27.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   4  Stranger - Close to Monday   5  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   6  Firenight - Moon and Aries   7  The Elephants - Charles James and the Rise   8  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   9  Always/Never - Kallai 10  Come to the Night - The Cöln   11  Devenu Deux - Jagas 12  In den Tiefen der Nacht - Luke Tangerine, ROBSON DARKER 13  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 14  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 15  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 16  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee 17  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 18  Little Lovely - Double Triangle Single Edit - Double Triangle, King Crisis 19  Guillotine - Drella 20  In Waves - Lumari 21  Love - Lucy Dreams 22  Trouble - Grant Evans 23  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 24  Card Machine - Cameron Ferguson NEW 25  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 26  Modern Lies - The Breakdown 27  Antystar - AT-XYA, Jam

‘At the Bottom’: Carlos Ucedda’s Important Message Wrapped in Retro Vibes!

‘At the Bottom’ by Carlos Ucedda

Carlos Ucedda is back, and for those familiar with his work, it’s clear where he’s headed next. Yet, that doesn’t make his artistry any less surprising. The Spanish singer and songwriter, after his successful song ‘Short Time My Love,’ which was more in the Electro/Art Pop genre, now brings us ‘At the Bottom,’ a piece that strongly reminds me of a blend of Depeche Mode’s synth coolness and the suave sophistication of Duran Duran. 
Listening to it for the first time, I could already see myself descending the steps towards an underground disco of the '80s. The atmosphere, the mood at first glance seems cool, dark, and gloomy. But as you listen more, you uncover layers of sound that add depth and vibrancy to the track: a complex synth landscape reminiscent of Nick Rhodes blends with funky guitar riffs, all synced to a drumbeat that echoes Depeche Mode or New Order. 
Additionally, there’s a theme that reflects the profound contemplation of illnesses that cause a dissociation between mind and body. It’s not easy, but that’s where the art lies: confronting the subject and perhaps conveying a powerful message aimed at raising sensitivity and awareness for the complexity of mental illnesses, while simultaneously promoting a positive narrative that can give strength and hope to those affected. 
With ‘At the Bottom,’ Carlos Ucedda once again forges his path, imbuing themes with a message, processing them, and musically dressing them in a garb that, on one hand, radiates a touch of Dark Wave, as in this case, and yet carries a glimmer of hope. Carlos Ucedda and ‘At the Bottom’ are a must for anyone who loves the '80s sound combined with visionary lyrics – and of course, for everyone else. ‘At the Bottom’ is, without a doubt, a another standout track for us!


Hello Carlos, welcome back to NenesButler. Your latest release, “At the Bottom,” has been out for a few days, and it sounds fantastic. It has this amazing '80s Electro flair combined with an amazing touch of underground. What or who was your muse, and what’s the story of the track?

Hello, how are you, thank you very much NenesButler, very grateful. How I commented a few days ago in the presentation of this, my latest song (In certain situations, our minds, under a diagnosis, take you to paths that your body does not correspond to or respond to. Finding itself in the back of your mind, without any connection) The theme is based and reflects on the illness, when your mind says goodbye to your body, as a result of it. 
The lyrics address a sensitive topic for the most part. I wanted to give it a different twist, creating a vision in an affective, positive color, with reference to the lyrics.

Last time, you told us you were influenced by Depeche Mode. “At the Bottom” has that typical “Some Great Reward” sound. How did you create this atmosphere?

I optimized some of these points of reference. But I directed it to set it in sounds like, Duran Duran, David Bowie, A-ha...

You have released a bunch of singles in the last two years and no album. Do you think, as many artists do, that the time of longplayers is over?

I think no. It is true that there are platforms to be able to experiment and easily publish albums. I do not rule it out.
But for me, there is a certain essence in releasing it in physical format, in fact I mentioned it in our previous interview. I am working on being able to release my first album, since that time ago, I worked a lot to be able to have enough material.

Whenever you start with your vocal lines in the studio, how much time or maybe how many takes does it take until you are satisfied?

I do not have every day to record my songs in the studio, since I have a business with part-time business hours. I am dosing my recordings with respect to time, influencing my guidelines with each line of the project.

I like the cover of the single as well. How do you decide what’s on the cover at the end?

Thank you!! The theme expands poetically and metaphorically, based on the depth of the song's message.

Given the chance, who’s the dream artist you’d want to collaborate with, and why?

Extensive list (Jay Jay Johanson,Alison Goldfrapp,Helicopter Girl,Sarah Brightman) They are artists that I admire in each of their works in music.

Do you still remember the first song you created?

Yes, of course, the lyrics were created between me and my partner. It's also on playlists _Thinking about my love_

And last but not least, what's next?

Now I am working on two songs, in my native language (Spanish), and the second in Italian (lyrical). As long as I have time, I write.



NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist