Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

At the Crossroads of Sound and Soul: “Clear" by John Garrison

“Clear" (from the new EP “Time Trader”) by John Garrison

picture provided by the artist
John Garrison returns with his EP “Time Trader” and presents us with a gem of the highest order. As a recording artist, producer, session musician, and songwriter who has collaborated with greats like Christina Aguilera, Robbie Williams, Ed Sheeran, and Lewis Capaldi, he revives his classic Juno106 synthesizer to create wonderfully warm, authentically retro sounds
“Clear,” the last track of the EP, evokes a sense of sonic nostalgia and opens up new thematic perspectives on interpersonal relationships. Standing at a crossroads, we are faced with a choice: Will you choose the path into the light, signifying separation, or turn back and fight for togetherness?  This dilemma is brilliantly captured by the artist in music. 
The listener is taken into spheres of perception that impress in their rarity. Here, fusion is redefined as becoming completely enveloped and immersed in the music. “Clear,” from the EP “Time Trader,” is a dreamily sounding ballad that captivates with its depth.


Thank you so much for your time, it’s great to have you on the blog. Let’s begin with the first question: Your last release was a while back—how does it feel to be back in the business as an artist?

It’s incredibly exciting. I’m always amazed at how fast the industry changes though. So it’s also challenging to adapt to new ways to release music. But as an artist, your creations need to be heard. That’s the most important part.

The song ‘Clear’ conjures a remarkable ambiance. Could you share the inspiration behind it?

The song is a metaphor for a failing relationship. The relationship is on the operating table with the 2 people involved experiencing out of body experiences. Do they walk off into the light (split up)? Or turn round and put up a fight (Stay together)? Are the last words we ever hear “Clear”?

The track is featured on your new EP. Could you give us a glimpse into what the EP holds?

The Time Trader EP was written totally on my old Juno106 synthesizer made in 1984. So there is an inevitable slight retro sound to it. That’s why I collaborated with the SynthWave label Retro Reverb Records who are releasing the EP. I set out with the plan of saying Yes to every idea I had, and recording it, before I could talk myself out of it. It felt like live streaming my creativity. That is why the tracks are quite diverse and seem to go on their own journeys. The only thread holding the tracks together is the Juno106.

As a recording artist, producer, session musician, and songwriter, do you have a preferred field of creation?

Not really. I have ideas buzzing around my head constantly. But when working for someone else, I try as best I can to get into their creative world. I think the reason I have a lot of work with other artists is because I have learned to separate my creativity. So I am not trying to put my stamp onto someone else’s sound. Their sound is theirs. And I’m just there to help find it for them. Where as my own music is mine and that’s where my creativity is allowed to run wild.

Having worked with many great artists, is there still a dream collaboration on your list?

I’ve been very fortunate to work with many amazing people. Its a real privilege to be allowed into the creative space of truly great artists. My favourite band ever is Radiohead so anything to do with them would be amazing. I would love to work with M83 or Tame Impala. I love their sound world.

As someone who manages both the production and mixing aspects, what guidance would you offer to aspiring artists?

I would say listen to other people. If there’s an area of your work that you are not 100% confident with, go to someone who has mastered that. I believe in the 10,000 hours principle that you can master anything if you put 10,000 hours into it. 
However, there are not enough 10,000 hours to master everything. So don’t be afraid to hand over aspects to people who have put in that time. And learn from it. Practice and keep practising.

If you could have a conversation with any musician, alive or dead, who would it be, and what would you discuss?

I’d love to sit down with Mozart and ask him what it was like to be such a maverick in a time where eccentricity and music had’t been seen together before. I’d also love to be in the room when Paul McCartney and John Lennon were throwing ideas around. The “Get Back” documentary gives a small incite as to what it was like. Pure creativity at it’s best. I’d ask them both if they knew when something was going to work or not.

Is there a song you wish you had written?

Imagine by John Lennon. Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon. No Surprises by Radiohead. Hey Ya by OutKast.

Do you remember the first song you ever created?

Yes. It was called The Caterpillar Song. I was 3 years old. I saw a caterpillar climbing up the ladder of a slide we had in my garden. My Mum said “That will turn into a butterfly”. I thought she meant it would turn into a butterfly after it goes down the slide…!! So I wrote a song about it….!! I can still play it on the piano…!

Last but not least, what are your plans for the rest of the year?

I have a very busy year ahead playing bass guitar for James Blunt. I am on tour with him right now and the tour carries on until December. But touring gives me the time to create as there is lots of down time. So I’m hoping at the start of next year, I will start recording songs written on the road.
I also have more releases with my other project GlassEar that I have with my wife. We have some shows planned for April and over the summer.


NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist