Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

In the Shadow of the Algorithm: ‘Cyber Thumb’ by Alec Danger

‘Cyber Thumb’ by Alec Danger

Prog-Rock, Electro, and '80s Pop define the musical profile of Alec Danger. With his latest single ‘Cyber Thumb,’ released last week, he has once again created an outstanding piece of music. ‘Cyber Thumb’ offers a critical view of the digital age and its potentially dehumanizing effects. 
The song encourages the listener to reflect on the role of technology in their own life and how it has influenced and changed our perception of reality. It addresses how the longing for immortality or eternal youth, suggested in the digital world, takes hold of us, while at the same time, an apocalyptic mood resonates. 
Musically, the song is influenced by Depeche Mode and New Order, who undoubtedly lay the foundation. However, the use of the saxophone gives the track an '80s Pop flair that suits it well and makes its original retro coloring shine in a new light. ‘Cyber Thumb’ by Alec Danger is exciting retrofuturism of the highest order.


Can you tell us about the person behind the artist Alec Danger and what ignited his/your musical voyage?

Alec Danger is the solo project of a Finnish musical explorer, Santeri Palkivaara (b.1990 in Turku, Finland). My pseudonym is derived from my real name, Santeri (Alexander, “the protector of men”) & and “vaara”, that is Finnish for "danger" - reflecting the ambivalence of life. I played and sang throughout my teens and 20s in bands from all possible genres, from doom metal & progressive rock to dream pop and jazz fusion, while also studying music formally in Turku & Helsinki, Finland. Hearing Jimi Hendrix’s music as a kid ignited the journey, and I started playing along to his records by ear.

What are the sources of your musical creativity, and how do they shape your sound?

As a creative source, I seem to have gone a full circle since my teens, and nowadays I tend to relate more to 60s & 70s artists again. Back then, the bands used to showcase several genres on their albums, going from psychedelic to country and blues, from jazz to funk and rock, and all the possible combinations of those. I usually can't reflect only one emotion through one song, let alone a whole album. I like that an album is a journey like ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ or something.
I try to avoid writing a song/arrangement in exactly the same genre twice - this keeps me constantly searching for new directions and mixing genres. The best kind of situation imo is when I’m listening to music and I can’t point it to any existing genre. The same goes to lyric writing, the less I rationally understand at that moment what I’m writing, the happier I am - the meaning often comes in hindsight. 
When I start creating, I swap between instruments, usually guitars and keyboards, to keep it interesting to myself. I usually come up with lyrics and arrangements in one go, but I might change the genre later. I rely a lot on “first thought best thought”, & stream-of-consciousness type of ideas, as long as they sound good sung.

The track ‘Cyber Thumb’ has great pop appeal as well as an amazing retro vibe; can you share the backstory of this track?

The idea for the song came while browsing social media and thinking of algorithms. How much the targeted marketing and algorithms dictate our choices to consume and shape our opinions on other people? How we often take what is easy, already available and good enough, without researching the other options. And how the data that all these big corporations like Facebook and Google are collecting on us - is worth more than money. Jaron Lanier’s books also had an influence. 
The first demo was made in 2016, and it went through arrangements that were more electronic, R‘n’B-influenced and “Steely Dan-like”, eventually settling for this one. Certain type of retrofuturism has always been an element of Alec Danger’s sound. In some way, it feels like the year 1982, was the peak of all popular music, so sonically the song reflects that. Don’t get me wrong, good music is being made all the time.

I have read something about an album; what can we expect from it?

You can expect a journey that is not lacking danger, going through various emotions, life cycles and combinations of genres such as krautrock, jazzy indie rock, psychedelic, dream & synth pop and ambient. Alec Danger is all about freedom and taking risks. It’s called Mortui Vivos Docent.

How do you decide when a track is ready for release?

When I feel like I don’t want to change anything. There is usually a turning point in the arrangement or mixing, when I mute some of the instruments (it might happen by accident) and realize that the song doesn’t really need them to carry its message through. That’s when the arrangement has found its final shape. Usually it’s taking stuff out instead of adding.

What are your thoughts on the role and influence of social media within the music industry?

I think social media can play a big role in spreading the word about artists and it’s also good in terms of networking, but focusing too much on what the other people are doing and comparing yourself to them, can be detrimental to your art, let alone your personality. It’s not for the weak. What I don’t like, is that the algorithms often push more phenomena that are already big enough…for example Taylor Swift. I think there are a lot of underground artists that could benefit from that attention.

The indie musician lifestyle is demanding; how do you manage the various aspects of your career?

Due to financial limitations and curiosity, I have kept learning new skills over the years, including playing several instruments and genres, producing, using softwares and electronic instruments and mixing my own music. I’ve been lucky in a sense that more often than not, I’ve got by doing something music related. I also currently work as a music therapist. 
I value independence and freedom a lot in what I do. Busking can be good, because the feedback of the audience is so direct and if you have the equipment, you can decide to do this anytime you want, instead of writing countless unanswered emails with venues.

Do you consider Heidelberg, Germany, to be a thriving hub for indie artists like you?

I felt like my time there ran out too soon to give a realistic statement on that, as I mostly was just studying music therapy there. There are a lot of talented artists in Heidelberg, for example Fly4Luv (Gregor), who also appears on my latest single and a great songwriting circle organized by Jako Bär. If you are a songwriter in the area - it is worth getting affiliated with it. However, I will be relocating to the Cologne area due to work.

What are your plans for 2024?

I look forward to collaborating with other mediums such as video, movies & dance in the future - that keeps it interesting for me. For the next few years, I would like to focus more on playing shows and forming a live band in Cologne, to present new kinds of interpretations of my music. I am also interested in producing other emerging artists and co-writing. Thank you for the thought-provoking questions.


‘Cyber Thumb’
released March 7, 2023
written, produced, arranged and mixed by Alec Danger
mastered by Gabriel Markus (Good Mood mastering)

Alec Danger - vocals, guitar, synths, bass
Ville-Pekka Vaaralahti - drums
Gregor Fresenius- sax & bc vocals
Amanda Martikainen - bc vocals
Sergei Vartiainen - bc vocals.



NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist