Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 27.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   4  Stranger - Close to Monday   5  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   6  Firenight - Moon and Aries   7  The Elephants - Charles James and the Rise   8  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   9  Always/Never - Kallai 10  Come to the Night - The Cöln   11  Devenu Deux - Jagas 12  In den Tiefen der Nacht - Luke Tangerine, ROBSON DARKER 13  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 14  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 15  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 16  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee 17  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 18  Little Lovely - Double Triangle Single Edit - Double Triangle, King Crisis 19  Guillotine - Drella 20  In Waves - Lumari 21  Love - Lucy Dreams 22  Trouble - Grant Evans 23  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 24  Card Machine - Cameron Ferguson NEW 25  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 26  Modern Lies - The Breakdown 27  Antystar - AT-XYA, Jam

The Enigma of Emotions: ‘Feral Feeling’ by Modal Split

‘Feral Feeling’ by Modal Split

In the vibrant metropolis of Frankfurt, which is increasingly establishing itself as the epicenter of the Indie Electro/Synth Pop scene, another musical event of significance unfolds. Modal Split, a name that already resonates with connoisseurs, steps into the spotlight this time. With two albums, an EP, and a series of singles that have already made their way into the public eye, Modal Split is far from being a newcomer. Influenced by Art-Pop icons like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, and Björk, the tireless songwriter and producer reveals a new facet of his work with “Feral Feeling.” He distances himself from his previous works, tinged with a touch of melancholy, and turns to a flawlessly staged Dance Pop. 
“Feral Feeling” captivates with an aura of carefreeness that manifests in every beat. The carefully selected sounds underscore the vocal performance so masterfully that it’s hard to choose between the quality of the vocals and the brilliance of the arrangement. On one hand, the vocal performance reminds one of early Madonna, while on the other, an arrangement enchants with its freshness and immediacy. Modal Split masters the challenge of merging voice and sound into a harmonious unity that pulsates in the same rhythm. 
The song lyrically describes the intense attraction and emotional confusion one feels when drawn to another person. It’s about an unexpected loss of self-control and the strong emotions that are elicited by the physical presence and chemistry between the individuals. One is torn between reason and surrender, experiencing this as a “feral feeling” that is both perplexing and irresistible. 
“Feral Feeling” marks a triumphant start to spring and already exudes the promising magic of summer. The emerging energy instantly captivates the listener, and one finds oneself inevitably swaying to the beat. The song, with its distinctive recognition value, elicits a smile from the listener with the first notes and mentally transports them to the dance floor. Resistance to this allure seems almost impossible, leaving the impression that Modal Split has created an outstanding “mood-changer” with “Feral Feeling.” A work that convinces not only musically but also carries that distinctive spirit within. 
“Feral Feeling” is an example of the finest Indie Dance Pop, floating effortlessly through the ether and captivating the audience.



‘Feral Feeling’ by Modal Split [DE]

In der pulsierenden Metropole Frankfurt, die sich zunehmend als Epizentrum der Indie Electro/Synth Pop Szene etabliert, entfaltet sich erneut ein musikalisches Ereignis von Bedeutung. Modal Split, ein Name, der in den Ohren der Kenner bereits Widerhall findet, tritt diesmal ins Rampenlicht. Mit zwei Alben, einer EP und einer Reihe von Singles, die bereits ihren Weg in die Öffentlichkeit gefunden haben, ist Modal Split weit davon entfernt, ein Neuling zu sein. Beeinflusst von Ikonen des Art-Pop wie Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel und Björk, offenbart der rastlose Songwriter und Produzent mit “Feral Feeling” eine neue Facette seines Schaffens. Er distanziert sich von seinen bisherigen, mit einem Hauch von Melancholie behafteten Werken und wendet sich einem makellos inszenierten Dance Pop zu. 
“Feral Feeling” besticht durch eine Aura der Sorglosigkeit, die sich in jedem Takt manifestiert. Die sorgfältig ausgewählten Klänge untermalen die stimmliche Darbietung derart meisterhaft, dass es schwerfällt, sich zwischen der Qualität der Vocals und der Brillanz des Arrangements zu entscheiden. Einerseits erinnert die gesangliche Performance an die frühe Madonna, andererseits verzaubert ein Arrangement, das durch seine Frische und Unmittelbarkeit besticht. Modal Split meistert die Herausforderung, Stimme und Klang zu einer harmonischen Einheit zu verschmelzen, die im gleichen Rhythmus pulsiert. 
Inhaltlich beschreibt der Song die intensive Anziehung und emotionale Verwirrung, die jemand empfindet, wenn er von einer anderen Person angezogen wird. Es geht um einen unerwarteten Verlust der Selbstkontrolle und der starken Gefühle, die durch die physische Präsenz und Chemie zwischen den Personen hervorgerufen wird. Man ist hin- und hergerissen zwischen Vernunft und Hingabe und erlebt diese Erfahrung als ein “wildes Gefühl”, das sowohl verwirrend als auch unwiderstehlich ist. 
“Feral Feeling” markiert damit einen triumphalen Auftakt in den Frühling und versprüht bereits jetzt die verheißungsvolle Magie des Sommers. Die entstehende Energie fesselt den Zuhörer augenblicklich, und man findet sich unweigerlich im Takt mitwippend wieder. Der Song, der mit seinem Wiedererkennungswert besticht, entlockt dem Hörer schon mit den ersten Noten ein Lächeln und entführt ihn gedanklich auf den Dancefloor. Der Widerstand gegen diese Anziehungskraft erscheint nahezu unmöglich, und so bleibt das Gefühl zurück, dass Modal Split mit “Feral Feeling” einen herausragenden “Mood-changer” kreiert hat. Ein Werk, das nicht nur musikalisch zu überzeugen weiß, sondern auch jenen unverwechselbaren Esprit in sich trägt. 
“Feral Feeling” ist ein Exempel feinsten Indie Dance Pops, das mit Leichtigkeit durch den Äther schwebt und die Hörerschaft in seinen Bann zieht.

Q&A

Who’s the creative force behind Modal Split, and what sparked your journey into music?

Hello I am Modal Split, an independent producer in the field of Synth and Electro Pop currently based in Frankfurt (Germany) and I am literally obsessed with music. My whole life music has been the thing I'm most passionate about, but primarily as a consumer. 
I made a few attempts to start making music on my own in the past, however I didn't have the confidence to start it seriously. When the pandemic hit, I decided to give it another try and this time it somehow worked out. And now I am not only obsessed listening to but also making music.

What are the key influences that mold your sound?

I am definitely at home in the field of Pop. What I love about it is its huge versatility: Pop music can be everything and easily combined with other genres. You can have it all: Mainstream, Avantgarde, Metal, Country, Hip Hop - there are just no boundaries, still it is Pop! 
My biggest influences are artists generally considered as "Art Pop": Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Björk, Fiona Apple or St. Vincent just to name a few. I am also a big fan of Japanese and Korean Pop music, as well as Disco.

‘Feral Feeling’ sounds fantastic, it’s got that catchy pop vibe, can you share the backstory of this track?

Thank you so much! This track is important to me, because it is the first time I achieved the sound I was trying to make when I started producing. My first projects are much more melancholic and the lyrical themes are mostly rather dark - seems I had to work through some stuff of my past first before making fun and danceable Pop music. 
So when I started making this track the only premise was me having fun. I didn't aim for a sophisticated or innovative sound, so I sticked to the catchy and danceable pop formula and I think it worked out very well.

Where do you draw your inspiration from, and how do you break through creative blocks?

I get inspired by the little events of everyday life: commuting to work, weather conditions, taking a walk and so on. The best ideas don't come up when I'm in front of my computer composing on my MIDI-controller but when I'm outside doing something. 
I'm a heavy daydreamer, I get lost in my thoughts all the time thinking about melodies and lyrics. One lesson I learned is that you can't force a good idea, if the creative block hits I accept that and I take a break. The mojo always comes back in the end, so I really don't stress myself with this stuff anymore.

When do you know a track is polished and ready to hit the airwaves?

As artists we all know the painful truth: our art will never be finished. You have to find that part in the process when you are like: "Okay I like this and that's the best I can do at the moment". Once I reach that stage I let the track go and release it.

What’s your take on social media’s impact and sway in the music biz?

Rather ambivalent. It definitely is a great way to express and promote yourself, however it is an illusory world and can consume you. As with everything in life: you need to find a healthy balance. That's why I just use one medium (Instagram) for my promotional activities.

You teamed up with Luke Tangerine before. Given the chance, who’s the dream artist you’d want to collab with, and why?

To be honest collaborations were never something I worked towards. The collaboration with Luke was somehow spontaneous, we are good friends in real life so for me this collaboration was more something that came out of our friendship. Given the fact that it worked out so well it really changed my perspective: collaborations let you get out of your musical comfort zone and force you to think out of your box - in a very good way. Given that I am very open about collaborating in the future. One of my secret dreams is making a track with a rapper, I would love to experiment in the field of Rap and Hip Hop.

Balancing the grind of being an indie musician can be intense. How do you juggle it all?

For me it is very manageable if you stop aiming for perfection. I have a regular job so making music is limited to evenings and weekends. I also don't have a label or any other professional support. So all composing, mixing, mastering, art design and promotion is done by just one person - me. I am no prodigy and still an amateur in many fields. 
I stopped trying to sound like the major label artists quite early. I always aim to sound the best I can at the moment and I think I get better with every release. However I don't put any pressure on myself, which makes my life as an indie artist much easier.

Frankfurt’s buzzing with indie vibes. Would you say it’s a hotspot for artists like yourself?

Frankfurt is indeed a special place, it is very international and open-minded. It is super vibrant, busy and full of art. I lived in Vienna before which is very different - much more polished and posh - and I'm still amazed by this contrast. I'm still exploring this city, because I just moved here a couple of months ago, so I wasn't able to dive into the local musical scene that much.

Got any sneak peeks into future projects or exciting ventures on the horizon?

I am currently further exploring the field of Dance Pop and EDM. I got a few more tracks finished already and some are still in the making. I haven't figured out yet if it will end up being just singles, an EP or even an album - I'll let you guys know for sure :). 
I also have this idea for another project since a couple of years already. I think this will come next after my Dance Pop era. It will be very different sound wise. Like I said before: the thing I love so much about Pop music is its versatility and I am so ready to explore it much further.



NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist