Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

Q&A Today: Agathe Plaisance (Last Album: “Beautiful Damages”)

Agathe Plaisance

... is a versatile and talented artist from the picturesque Normandy, cultivated a remarkable repertoire of skills through her comprehensive education at a renowned art school. With a passion as deep and far-reaching as her talent, Agathe is not merely a composer of her lyrical prose and the melodies that accompany her songs; she is also the architect of her own music videos, crafting them with meticulous precision. Her creative vision also extends to the design of her album covers, and with an impressive stage presence, she enchants her audience. 
In May 2023, Agathe presented her debut album “Beautiful Damages” to the world, released under the December Square label. This work is a collection of songs that not only showcase her musical virtuosity but also her ability to create profound emotional landscapes. Her artistic universe, though minimalist in design, is richly intense, with somber undertones firmly entrenched in the traditions of folk and indie-pop. It is a reflection of her eclectic influences. 
Within her music resonates the essence of artists such as Cat Power, Michelle Gurevich, and Mazzy Star, celebrated for their emotive profundity and distinctive stylistic expressions. Agathe’s artistic contributions is both an ode to these inspirations and a courageous proclamation of her own artistic ethos.


Who is Agathe Plaisance as a person behind the artist, and what or who sparked your passion for music?

Ever since I was a little girl, I developed a love of music, initially by listening to a lot of things at home with my parents, then gradually building up my own sensitivity. At the age of 12, I started taking bass lessons, then singing and learning guitar on my own. I quickly began composing my own songs, first on bass and vocals, then on guitar. 
Alongside composing and playing small concerts in bars as a teenager, I began to get involved in several concert organizing associations and festivals. At the same time, I evolved in visual arts field and obtained a master's degree in art school in 2020. Since 2021, I have been devoted myself to music, as an artist but also as a technician and director of the Rock in the Barn festival (since 2023). Finally, my passion has brought me both to the stage and to the service of music.

What are the key elements or major influences that have shaped the sound and style of your music?

As I said, I listened to a lot of music as a child, and certain artists scarred in me. I'm thinking in particular of Cat Power and the beauty of her first albums, Mazzy Star and the amazing album "So Tonight that Mind I see", but also of the voices of Beth Gibbons, Hope Sandoval, Michelle Gurevich, Tom York and many others.

Your latest track, “Locked Up - Edit,” creates an amazing and mysterious mood. What was your inspiration, and how did you come up with the idea for a revisited version?

The revisited version was born during the live’s construction and the desire for the instruments played to be present on stage. But on stage we are a duo! There are no drums, no violin.. Locked up evolved the most compared to the other tracks, but the whole album took on a different aspect live! The audience often told me that they really liked this version, so I decided to release it.

The original version is part of your album ‘Beautiful Damages.’ How would you describe it to our readers?

The original version is much more folk and dramatic, less electronic and dreamy. I think this version is very beautiful too, but I was younger when I recorded it. With the album “Beautiful Damages”, it was the first time in my life that I went into a recording studio!

You produce your videos on your own; how long does it normally take to have the finished video ready for release?

It all depends of the video, the type of camera used, the post-production process.. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes a weeks, sometimes several months! This one took me a short time to film, but more time to edit. I made this clip with Rainbow Rushes from Maddy Street, so there were 2 people in its production. It was because of this collaboration that I dared to use color!

Do your fans have the chance to see you live on stage?

Last year, I realized around thirty concerts to promote the album’s release. I took a little break this winter, but I will be back on stage from May onwards! I mainly play in France, but I would love to go to other countries, especially England, Canada, or USA.

Whom would you love to talk to about music, whether they are alive or not?

Today that would be Pete Dehorty, because of his latest album with Frédéric Lo, "The Fantasy Life of Poetry & Crime". He now lives in France, in Normandy, not far from where I live! This guy gives off something intense.. I love his singing which is not always in tune. He’s sweet and dark..

What are some of the projects or plans that you have in mind for the near future?

I’m currently working on the release of a second album, while continuing to perform ‘Beautiful Damages’ on stage with a few concerts to come in 2024.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist