Skip to main content

Featured

INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 12.Oct.24

Indie Top 40   1  Without You - The Octopus Division   2  Finding Myself - Davide Carbone, Kate Watts   3  Pretty (Acoustic Version) - gina kaz   4  Everyday Love - Flora Falls   5  Sometimes It Hurts, But That's Okay - Bonheur   6  Poor Little Boy - Elizabeth Sheppard   7  Nightcrawling - Rogue FX, Hollywood Brown   8  Mad About You - Frank Joshua   9  in da mittn - GRAHMS 10  I Need Darkness - Neon Radiation, Manu 11  Different - Close to Monday 12  3 Little Piggies - Citizens of YEAH!, Amateur Ornithologist 13  Reaction - Last Wars 14  Amma - Chiara Dubey 15  Kissing Away The Silence - LUNER 16  The Boy Who Dreamed of the Stars - Extra Time 17  Gasoline - Oli Bruce 18  And the Day Begins - Romie 19  LOVE ME NOW - Glazed Curtains 20  Will Nicht Dass Du Gehst - ODELIAH   21  Deep Down - The Tropicanas 22  Feel Alive - Produced by BQ - Dorine Levy 23  Pietrosella (Dogs hold the light) - Venin Carmin 24  Construção - julakim, julakim Trio 25  Meine Freundin Jacky - Manou 26  The sun
Indie
Pop
New Wave
Synth Pop
Electronic
NenesButler

Provocative & Introspective: ‘Ruminate’ by Hawk

‘Ruminate’ by Hawk

In the wake of the dadaist surge of the 80s, Hawk continues his tradition of breaking conventions with his latest release, which primarily appears in streaming format in our modern era. His music, a vibrant medley of dark timbres and soothing moods, integrates profound, introspective lyrics with his distinctive, rebellious undertone. Hawk guarantees a musical event that unsettles the listener, brings a smile, and simultaneously reminds us of the transience of our existence. ‘Ruminate’ navigates through these depths of rumination and emphasizes the need to explore one’s own consciousness. 
Musically, it results in the fusion of electronic elements with sensitive pop nuances, or rather, experimental industrial pop. Hawk pushes the boundaries of expression and presents a soundscape that is both provocative and introspective. Thus, in a world where authenticity often remains hidden behind a facade, Hawk manages to preserve genuineness and rawness in his music that not only entertains but also provokes thought. For those who want to learn more about the artist, be sure to read the following short interview.


Who is the creative force behind the artist/musician Hawk?

A person who has been passionate about music since the age of 10 and just wants to have fun making it. Any time I get spare I’ll be reading as many sci-fi and philosophy books I can get my hands on, something that really helps for writing lyrics, or playing with my dog and appreciating the time I have with him. Oh, and playing many distracting video games that just won’t leave me alone.

What ignited your passion for music, and who or what has significantly influenced your artistic journey?

Coming home from school I put on the TV and somehow found myself switched on to Kerrang! I sat watching in shock as 9 masked men thrashed and screamed. Slipknot's Duality felt like it acknowledged my anger and frustration, and after watching Joey on the drums I knew I wanted to at least be a drummer. Little did I know I wanted more.

Could you share the inspiration behind your latest release, “Ruminate,” along with its backstory?

It came about after a long break from writing. I had a few years of suffering and lost the passion for it, but counselling inspired me again to write about that pain. Ruminate is all about the anxiety and overthinking of past mistakes, questioning everything, and the existentialism I experienced.

As the songwriter, mixer, and producer, what do you find to be the most challenging aspect of composing a song?

Letting go. Trying to not be too technical with every aspect and just losing myself in the process can be the most challenging part. If you can feel the music inside yourself, and have the passion for it, all the writing, producing and mixing is secondary.

How is the production of your 7-track EP shaping up?

It's all mixed and ready to go! Never did I think I would be writing and recording guitar, as I'm not a stringed instrument kinda guy, but these new songs feature a few guitar and bass parts to bring more of the human element that I feel lacks in my previous work. There's still a lot of planning to get through, but I'm so pleased with how far they've come.

What hurdles do you face as a musician in today’s ever-evolving music industry?

To be honest, most things are hurdles for the modern bedroom producer . Streaming, social media marketing, labels and an oversaturated market, all of these can get in the way of just getting a few people to ever hear your music online. The trick is to just take each challenge as it comes and be open to new techniques to keep going. I would highly recommend for any musician to not constantly check your online statistics, focus on your art and telling people about it.

What social media strategies do you employ to connect with your fans and expand your audience?

For a while I held back all of my music like precious little gems that I’ll share when the time is right, but I had the epiphone that the right time is right now. Whenever I get writing and feel excited to share it, I’ll find a way, which currently tends to be short videos that I upload to my YouTube channel. This way I get to share my music, learn some video editing, and create artwork for the thumbnails that I also get to share on Instagram. I just try to be consistent and true to myself.

What are your aspirations for the future?

I want it all! Music videos, albums, merchandise, anything I can proudly say I made or I know is good quality. Obviously, I’d need some deep pockets for all of that, so I’ll just settle with making a music video for my next EP and maybe a few physical copies to accompany the release. The long term goal is to find people who want to support my work and invest the resources they have to keep me going, whether that's a label, manager, or avid fans.


NENESBUTLER PRESENTS MUSIC - SUBMIT YOUR MUSIC NOW!

Video of the WEEK! - Pink Honey Moan - "Swoon (80s montage lyric video)"

#WatchNOW: Extra Time - "The Boy Who Dreamed Of The Stars"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist