Riding the 80s: ‘Good Time’ by Mayah Camara and Sellorekt / LA Dreams

‘Good Time’ by Mayah Camara, Sellorekt / LA Dreams

Let’s take a deep dive into the 80s narrative, where Mayah Camara bursts onto the London music scene like a comet slicing through the night sky. In a dynamic collaboration with Sellorekt / LA Dreams, she’s dropped ‘Good Time’, a track pulsating with charismatic 80s nostalgia and adding yet another sparkling entry to her musical repertoire.
Imagine a grand dance hall, suspended in time, where the synthesizer’s rhythm beats like a heart, and colorful lights sketch vibrant lifelines. The atmosphere is ripe with excitement, and fashion becomes the bold, unapologetic skin of the era
Here, a young girl steps into the night, her hair sky-high, poised to take on the world. She moves with wild abandon, immersed in a spectrum of colors, electric blues, neon pinks, and acid yellows. The bassline courses through her, and as she spins beneath the mirrored disco ball, she catches fleeting reflections of herself. 
The onlookers are spellbound as she becomes the focal point, a celestial entity amidst a sea of stardust. Yet, as the night progresses, the music dims, and the glow wanes. Her laughter grows empty, and the shimmer begins to dull. She exits the club, her heels echoing on the pavement, a walk of shame. The streets are deserted, and as dawn breaks, it lays bare the smudges in her makeup and the sorrow in her soul. Her ‘Good Time’ plans have come undone, leaving her exposed and alone.
‘Good Time’ by Mayah Camara encapsulates this paradox, the intoxicating peaks and the unavoidable troughs. It’s an auditory time machine, whisking us back to a time when indulgence reigned supreme, and dreams were as vivid as the fashion. As the synths rise and the chorus reverberates, we’re touched by an underlying vulnerability, a delicate essence that gives the music depth.
So here’s to Mayah Camara and Sellorekt / LA Dreams, the custodians of 80s reverberations. Her forthcoming album, a melding of her talent with Sellorekt / LA Dreams, is on the horizon and, will be a testament that the past and future can meld, throbbing in unison like an eternal rhythm.


Who is the individual behind the artist/musician Mayah Camara?

That's a strange question for me to answer lol. I basically put my thoughts, feelings, perspectives and sometimes my beliefs into my music. What comes out of me really depends on the song I'm working on and the vibe that is created from the music. I love to use my singing and songwriting ability not only to entertain but to forge connections with people. I don't have a stage persona. The woman you see through the music is the same woman I am in my day to day life.

What sparked your passion for music, and who or what are your primary influences?

Music is a part of me. I come from a very musical family and have always been connected to it. Musical instruments were always in my home as a child and that's something I have continued way into my adult life. My brother is also an artist along with others in my extended family so I guess you could say it's in the blood. I don't remember a time when music has surrounded pretty much everything I do. I listen to all genres from a time span that covers many decades with my favourite artists and songs being most prominent in the 80s and 90s. Michael Jsckson would hands down be my biggest inspiration, especially as a writer and arranger.

Could you share the inspiration behind your '80s banger “Good Time” and its backstory?

'Good Time' was actually the first song written and recorded for my upcoming album. Kevin aka Sellorekt LA Dreams, sent me the blueprint for the instrumental with the title 'Good Time' attached. As soon as I heard what he had composed I got visuals in my head of a seedy club in the 80s with a girl partying a little too hard lol. 
I then ran with his title and the vibe of the track and developed a story about a girl who got caught up with some unsavoury people. She ends up taken advantage of, left abandoned by her friends and has to do the walk of shame home feeling sad and extremely regretful about the shenanigans of the night before. The moral of the story I guess would be, if you go out choose who you go out with wisely, be cutious and don't let yourself get totally legless drunk

The song features on your forthcoming album. What can our readers anticipate from it?

They can expect a wide selection of songs full of retrowave inspired sounds with 80s flavours and a slight touch on the early 90s. Awesome productions by Sellorekt LA Dreams and of course vocals by me. The songs are a combination of different stories, emotional moments with some energetic numbers and cool ballads. You'll hear a wide variety of soundscapes and flavours touching on Pop, New Jack Swing, Soul, R&B and, there are some rockier moments here and there in some of the songs.

What was your experience like collaborating with Sellorekt/LA Dreams on “Good Time”?

It's always fun working with Kevin, he totally gets me as a writer and vocalist. I find his productions are some of the easiest for me to create lyrics and vocal melodies to, as well as some of the funnest to write and record. He's awesome!

As an artist seeking collaborations, what do you find to be the most valuable benefit?

I love working with other people. I find that you can always learn from other musicians and each person can bring something different out of you. Every now and then someone will reach out to me and ask if I'd like to write with them. It might be that they think my voice would work well with something they have in mind or they like my lyrical style. I have also contacted people in the past that I admire and let them know that if they'd ever like to work on something I'd love the opportunity. As it stands almost everyone I have worked with is also someone I enjoy a friendship with so i've been very blessed in that space.

What obstacles do you encounter as a musician in today’s music industry?

I find that these days a lot of listeners have very short attention spans. I can't blame them, as the way we consume music and media as a whole has changed but, as a musician it can be a challenge to keep a song short and still provide a variety of dynamics, tell a good story or take the listener on a journey with you.

What strategies do you employ on social media to engage with your fans and expand your audience?

Like many people I'm open to conversing with others on my socials. I let people know when a project is coming by either posting clips of me singing the song, sharing cover art, info about the studio sessions etc. As far as marketing each project may have a slightly different strategy based on the song and/or the audience we want to reach but, I tend to be on the majority of social platforms with instagram being my favorite.

What aspirations do you have for the future?

If i'm ever blessed to do music in a full time capacity as an artist, writer or both that would be awesome! I just love to be creative and make music whenever I can!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist