Skip to main content

Featured

Escapism & the Search for Identity: ‘Thorns’ by WARTERAUM

‘Thorns’ by WARTERAUM WARTERAUM had withdrawn from the limelight for a while, but as the saying goes, ‘Good things come to those who wait.’ Now they’re back, not as a solo project, but as a duo, sounding better than ever.    Their latest release, ‘Thorns,’ serves not only as a preview for their EP but also as an auditory laboratory.   The sonic landscape was crafted using an experimental approach, incorporating various feedback and distortion techniques. The result of this creative alchemy is deep bass tones that captivate the listener, vocal-like elements reminiscent of mysterious chants from another dimension, and sonically atonal percussion that challenges and fascinates the ear. Taking this direction was a bold step beyond conventional boundaries, giving ‘Thorns’ its unique and expressive character. The vocals impress once again : dark, mysterious, and impactful.  The lyrics revolve around escapism, the search for identity in a chaotic world, and existential inner struggles th
Indie
Pop
New Wave
Synth Pop
Electronic
NenesButler

Don’t Limit Yourself: ‘The One’ by ZenToy

‘The One’ by ZenToy

ZenToy, a Brussels-based composer, producer, and DJ who founded Rainbow Mode Records, an e-label where he explores artistic schizophrenia through various projects, returns with his brand-new release, ‘The One.’ 
ZenToy
What sets this track apart is ZenToy’s refusal to be confined by genre boundaries. Instead, he gazes beyond those limits, infusing the composition with life across a spectrum of styles, from Electro Pop to Drum and Bass. The tempo ranges from 80 bpm to a pulsating 175 bpm, creating an expansive emotional palette within the track. 
‘The One’ resonates with an abundance of moods, inviting listeners to explore the uncharted territories of ZenToy’s musical universe. Prepare for an exhilarating journey, one where genre conventions dissolve, and creativity knows no bounds. So, don’t limit yourself and discover your favorite version of ‘The One’!


How did music first capture your heart, and which influences shaped your musical style at the outset of your career?

When I was a kid, I saw an excerpt of the movie "Purple Rain" on television, and it was the shock of my life! Prince is the one who made me want to make music. Later, I was also influenced by Depeche Mode, Front 242, NIN and so many others...

What inspired the concept of crafting six distinct renditions across various genres for “The One”?

I am passionate about music, and I don't want to limit myself to just one style. This is the reason why I have developed several projects within Rainbow Mode Records, where I can explore several universes (Electro Pop, House, Trance, Techno, Drum n Bass, Downtempo) while remaining consistent in the development of each project, even if ZenToy has become the one that has kept me the most busy in recent years. 
For "The One", alongside the original version, there are Indie-Dance versions by The Fool Lovers, Melodic-Techno by Skypearls, Drum n Bass by The Virgin Dolls, and Downtempo by Mode Orchestra.

From where do you draw your inspiration, and what do you find to be the most challenging elements of songwriting?

I always start with an improvisation, generally with a rhythmic base, then I add the melodic elements. The most difficult thing is not to overdo it, to sometimes manage to remove elements so that the track is more effective. I also sometimes take a long time to find the right sound for a melody line or a specific element.

How do you ascertain when a song is perfected and ready for public release?

When I manage to convince myself 100% that I can stop working on it, which is not always easy. I also take care of the Mastering, and I like it to be well balanced between loudness and dynamics, without forgetting the LUFS rules for streaming services, which I still bend a little depending on the style.

Which Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) do you prefer, and for what reasons?

Ableton Live, because it's so intuitive! Also with the advantage of being able to be used live

As a producer, could you offer any tips to musicians on mixing and mastering?

Try to limit yourself to a few tools and plugins, and learn how to use them as best you can. There are so many plugins, often of incredible quality, but there's no point in breaking the bank buying everything that comes out and maybe never using it.

If given the choice of a unique venue for a performance, where would your dream location be?

I never thought about it... Maybe First Avenue (or 7th Street) in Minneapolis, but that would probably be a little too emotional. Sometimes it's good that some things remain fantasies...

Can you recall the very first song you composed?

I have no idea anymore, but "Kill the Pain" was a song I worked on for several years before its official release with The Virgin Dolls, long before the first single "No Love".

What are your aspirations and strategies for your musical journey?

As far as strategy is concerned, it has become more and more complicated to have a certain visibility online. I try to make the best use of social networks, promotional tools, the YouTube channel and TikTok, but I also don't forget to be present offline as a DJ, which allows me to also put my productions under the light. My main aspiration, and it has always been the same since I started: that music remains a pleasure.


NENESBUTLER - INDIE MUSIC BLOG

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist